– The 2010 CCC now has an official Series Sponsorship Proposal. Please take a look and if you’d like to see your name in bright neon lights and be a series sponsor (or even just know someone who might) please contact us at [email protected].
– If you haven’t heard by now you must be living under a rock, but long time CCC promoter xXx Racing-AthletiCo will be hosting the inaugural Tag Team Cyclocross Race on Sunday, August 29 at 10:00am in Jackson Park. You and a buddy trading off laps for 45 to 90 minutes. Categories are still being finalized but apparently there will be a coed option. Look for pre-reg to open later in the summer but find a partner now. Forthcoming details will be found here.
– Hey Ladies! Half Acre raises the bar (again) for bringing new riders into the mix with their Women’s Cyclocross Clinic on Saturday, September 11th at Rainbow Beach and Park (not far from the Gaper’s Block Crits location). The clinic will be led by WI Pro Kristin Wentworth. Find details here and here. Pre-reg opens July 1st.
– Not to steal Half Acre’s thunder, but we’ve heard rumors that another non-gender-specific CX clinic is in the works for mid August when a bunch of pro’s will be in town, to hopefully be led by a powerful East Coast CX’er. Details are still being finalized, and we’ll post details as soon as they are confirmed.
– Speaking of the pro’s… the UCI has made a few changes to international CX rules. None of them really apply to us racing the CCC, but if you plan on racing the Madison USGP on the CCC’s first free weekend, or plan on heading to Nationals, these new rules may apply to you.
– Juniors update. A bunch of you have asked to separate out the 10-14 Junior and 15-18 Junior age groups similar to how the ICA scores the IL Cup. We are happy to announce that starting this year the CCC will score the two age groups separately. However, since we don’t have time to start each age group separately we’ll do call-ups for the top 5 Juniors in each of the two age groups alternating between the 15-18’s and 10-14’s. The Pony Shop has also signed on to sponsor the Juniors races. If you’re under 19 years old and can catch him… say thanks to the Sheriff next time you see him!
– Speaking of separate scoring… a few of you have also inquired about adding a single-speed category. We’d love to do it, but we’re running out of time… literally. There’s just not enough daylight in November and December to add another 30-45 minute race at each venue. We’re trying to think of a way to let SS’ers race in the categories we already have, and then score them separately, but it would be tricky. If you have ideas on how to make this work we’d like to hear from you… and better yet if you’d like to help us score such a series we’d love to hear from you.
– And finally… yes, we know there are few sprint finishes in CX races… but here’s an example why you should always, always, always, always wear your helmet when riding and racing your bike. We’ll be watching this year and rule 1N1 in the USAC Rulebook reserves the right for officials to give the kind of hand ups you DON’T want to receive in the form of DQ’s and/or $20 fines for people not wearing their helmets while riding their bikes at any CCC race. Our fantastic officials really don’t want to deal with the paperwork or have to make 911 calls, so don’t be stupid… there’s absolutely no downside at all to wearing your helmet… and every reason in the world to wear it.