2011 ABD Sunrise Park Preview
– Masters racer & super promoter Jim Nowak, Athletes By Design, and Prairie Path Cycles return yet again in 2011 with their classic ABD Sunrise Park course in Bartlett, IL. There’s been lots of discussion recently on differences in course design, and in our opinion what makes CX and specifically the CCC so great is the diversity in our courses. Jim always sets the bar a little higher each year with his course designs and this year is no different as he pays tribute to the SuperCup series of the late 1990’s with the “6 pack”. And of course Heckle Hill will be back in all its glory.
– Two quick warm up events:
- Pretty. Fast. is hosting a ladies meet and greet on Friday at Star Lounge Coffee (2521 W. Chicago Ave) from 6-9pm. Lots of great prizes, drinks, and conversation… and an after party across the street.
- Burnham Racing host their 2011 Apple Cider Donut World Championship Demilitarized Ride Saturday morning. Please RSVP.
– The Bartlett venue always has the trickiest parking situation of all the CCC races. Parking is actually a good ways away at the Sycamore Trails School. See the map below. Please park at the school and follow the signs on the path to the course and registration. Its probably a good idea to ride your bike, but per USAC regulations you must wear your helmet at all times when on your bike at a race. You can’t finish the race if you don’t start because you brains are spilled all over the sidewalk… so please keep it safe and don’t make us ask you twice… better yet once. See page 54 here.
– Please remember registration closes 30 minutes prior to each race start time. Also, please allow the 40+ racers to get their numbers first thing in the morning so they can warm up for their race. Thanks!
– Sunrise Park is notoriously windy… so if you plan on setting up a tent, bring metal stakes or weights. Sunday’s forecast calls for upper 50’s and a possibility of rain, so please dress and pack accordingly.
– Sunrise Park is smack in the middle of a housing community. Please respect the neighbors at times while at the race… this includes not peeing in places you shouldn’t (we have Spot-A-Pots), using foul language, and anything that would make it so we can’t come back next year. You all are always great about this, so please keep it PG.
– Since the park is in the middle of a residential area there are no food or beverage establishments in the immediate vicinity. However this year ABD has brought in local food vendor Sandwichville who will be serving up wraps, pulled pork, and maybe beef sandwiches.
– UPDATE: All pre-ordered merchandise will be available for pickup. Please see the Spidermonkeys for your shirts, embro, and SockGuy socks!!!
– The course: Sunrise Park is one of the CCC’s longest courses at nearly 2.5 miles. All categories will still be racing the same amount of time as all other CCC races though, but you’ll obviously be completing fewer laps… so pay attention to the lap counters. Since the start chute and Finish line are on the interior of the course… please be careful when crossing the course as racers will likely be coming at you from both directions. The course runs anti-clockwise again this year. Registration will be just NorthEast of the Finish line. The wheel/bike pit is double entry and SouthWest of the finish line. The starting grid will be just to the NorthEast of the finish line next to registration. As always, numbers will go on your left.