2011 Ted’s Excellent Double Adventure Preview
- This Sunday Chris Henning leads the Northbrook Bicycle Club and Flatlandia North to the YMCA Camp Duncan for the relocated and rebranded Ted Excellent Double Track Adventure for stop 11 of the CCC. This race takes the place of the races held in Northbrook for the past few years. Online reg closes tonight so please pre-reg.
– To get to Camp Duncan head North on Hwy. 12 and look for the sign marking the entrance to the camp. The address is 32405 N US Highway 12 Volo, IL 60041-9312.
– Unfortunately due to YMCA rules no alcohol nor pets are allowed on the property. We’d like to be invited back again next year so please be on your best behavior. Fire is allowed though, and there will be at least one bonfire going throughout the day, so bring s’mores fixins!
– Parking will be tight so please carpool if you can. NBC and Flatlandia will have parking attendants but please do not park on grass unless an attendant directs you there. When entering and exiting camp please follow posted speed limits and look out for riders on bikes.
– The Northbrook Bicycle Club will be accepting donations of kids bikes at registration for the YMCA biking program, where they teach the kids at camp to ride the trails in the summer and introduce them to mtn biking. We’re sure they’ll start CX clinics very soon.
– Food: The camp chuck wagon will be parked down at the large boat house (near the waterfront) and will be selling food and camp Duncan clothing items. Beverages: Gatorade, Juice, Hot Chocolate and Coffee. Snacks: Chips, candy, cookies & granola bars. Hot Food: Vegetarian Chili, nachos & hot dogs.
– Showers! The Central Wash House will be open for racers to clean off/shower after the race. However, if the grounds are muddy please DO NOT bring your bike(s) into the buildings or showers to clean them off. There’s a lake… use that instead.
– Payouts: Standard CCC payouts except the Juniors (both age groups) which will have the same payouts as the Women Cat 4, thanks to the newly established Astellas Oncology Cycling Team p/b ABD based in Glenview.
– Warm-ups. Please stay off the grass fields. Chris Henning notes the entrance road is probably your best bet since it is nice & long… or bring a trainer.
– There is a playground for the kiddies.
– If you ordered CCC tshirts, embro, or socks please see us at the finish line to pick up your merchandise.
– The race is sponsored by George Garner Cyclery, a full-service shop with locations in Northbrook, Libertyville & Lake Zurich. Paul McAllister from George Garner Cyclery in Northbrook will be offering free neutral support in the pit which will be located near the S/F. Unfortunately due to the spread out nature of the course the equipment pit is NOT double sided.
– The Course: Goes clockwise. See pictures here. The TEDTA offers a great mix of grass, pavement, double track (duh) through the woods, a little singletrack, a sandy beach, a Teepee for crying out loud… and what Dave Pilotto can only describe as the hardest stair run up you’ll ever do in your life. Good luck!