– Well the weather held out, the crowds showed up, there were thrills, spills, chills (literally), Flannel Mike, heroes, winners, a little sand… but absolutely no losers. Big thanks to Turin Bicycle for hosting yet another great event at Montrose Harbor and the IL State CX Championships. Congratulation not only to the 13 state champions who won jerseys, but also the 13 individual Chicago Cyclocross Cup Overall Series Winners and to Verdigris-Village CX for winning the Team Competition.
– State Champions received their jerseys on Sunday but we’ll hand out the CCC cowbells in just less than 2 weeks at the CCC End of Season Awards Party on Sunday December 18th just after high noon at EJ’s Place in Skokie. We’ll have full use of the bar and a buffet dinner will be served between 3pm and 4pm. In addition to the CCC cowbells our fantastic series sponsors have stepped up in a big way and we’ll not only have awards for the series winners but plenty of great door prizes. Tickets are on sale now, so please pre-reg so the kitchen at EJ’s can plan accordingly.
– Speaking of parties, our friends at My Wife Inc. have invited all Chicago area racers heading up to Madison this weekend to the Badger Cross Party Saturday night. Although it’s technically the WCA season ending series awards, it’s really just a good party with food, music, and drinks. What better way to end a day of racing, cheering, heckling and cowbell ringing than with good food, some tasty beverages, music, fun and great company! December 10, 2011, 6-9 pm (Hor d’Oeuvres 6:30-8:30) at the West Side Club of Madison. Cost: $20.
– The Burnham Racing & Spidermonkey Cycling WBR holiday “bake sale” charity fundraiser was a smashing success. The Spidermonkeys baked their faces off and the group ‘sold through’ their ornaments (twice), raising well over $700 for World Bicycle Relief. Because of the WBR matching campaign going on now through the end of the year, the Montrose fundraiser along with Burnham’s Apple Donut ride and their work as the lead pace bikes for the Chicago Marathon… monies will end up as a net donation of over $2,400 to WBR!
– Races coming up…
– Badger Cross on 12/10 and 12/11 near Madison.
– Afterglow is hosted by Robots Powered by Love and the Chicago Cuttin’ Crew on Saturday 12/17 in Humboldt Park.
– Highland Park High School Training CX Rumble. A new high school ONLY CX race.
– The CCC’s New Year’s Resolution on 12/31 AND 1/1 at the Hilton Indian Lakes Resort. Reg is here. ILR’s sister hotel (Holiday Inn Elk Grove, 10-15 minutes away) has opened up rooms for $79 per night (including NYE) and will transport guests to and from ILR.
– CX Nationals take place in Madison between January 4-8.
– Masters World Championships are in Louisville January 12-15.
– For those of you continuing to race for another month, you can start renewing your annual USAC now on USACycling.org. UCI license holders you should know what to do. Licenses renewed now will be good until the end of next year… 12/31/2012. You’ll need a 2012 license in order to race on the 2nd day of the New Year’s Resolution, CX Nationals in Madison, and CX Masters World Championships in Louisville.
– And finally… Mr. Cyclocross Newt Cole is bringing his Engine Building 101 session back for another season starting in January 2012. Newt tells us the graduating class of 2011 earned 39 Podiums during this season… which isn’t even over yet!
Engine Building 101 by Newt Cole
An 8 week series designed for cyclists to build explosive strength, develop better mobility and flexibility while learning proper technique and recovery habits
Sundays, starting Jan 22nd
Saturdays, starting Jan 21st
Prevent the repetitive-motion and overuse injuries associated with cycling.
Head off to your spring camps with a higher level of base fitness and prepare for a healthy 2012 campaign.