– A day late, but hey… its the Holidays!
– We know everyone had a great time last Saturday at Afterglow – A Cyclocross Race, hosted by the Chicago Cuttin’ Crew. This event is more about fun than race results, but more than a few riders are still racing strong in preparation for CX Nationals in Austin, TX in just 2 weeks! In any event, full results are here and here.
– More importantly than fun or results, Afterglow helps raise funds for West Town Bikes and Blackstone Bikes, two fantastic youth cycling programs based here in Chicago. Thank you, thank you, thank you to all the individuals who donated, all the parents who donated their CCC junior entry fee reimbursements ($1,000 total which the Chicago Cyclocross Cup matched), and the Pony Shop and ROBOTS <3 who both donated >$1,000 to the event. At the end of the day the Chicagoland CX community raised >5,000 total for West Town and Blackstone. This is fantastic and great way to end the Chicago CX season.
– Speaking of donations, the Chicago Cyclocross Cup has been collecting money for World Bicycle Relief throughout the season and on Monday wrote a check for $350 to WBR. In the month of December all WBR donations are matched by a wealthy member of the Chicago cycling community, so that is $700 going to WBR, enough for 5+ bikes. Again, well done everyone!
– After all the racing and donating on Saturday we weren’t done yet and the CCC (Chicago Cyclocross Cup not the Chicago Cuttin’ Crew) gave away even more awards, prizes, and gear on Sunday at the CCC Awards Party at EJ’s Place. Some tasty food, a few bottles of cheer, and pretty much everyone went home with something, not just the series winners. Thanks again to The Pony Shop, SRAM, ABUS Mobile Secuirty, Sheila Moon, Yojimbo’s Garage, Spy Sunglasses, Smart Bike Parts, Spin Doctor Cyclewerks & Red Writing for supplying the gear.
– CX racing around the country, and the world, still isn’t done yet for this season. Good luck and safe travels to everyone heading to Austin, TX for USAC CX Nationals January 7-11. And Cyclocross continues in Europe until the end of January, culminating with CX World Championships in Tabor, Czech Republic Jan 31/Feb 1. We haven’t heard of any Chicagoland riders going, but CX Masters World Championships are January 3rd and 4th in Gossau, Switzerland.
– And finally… we here at the CCC are very thankful and feel grateful to have shared another CX season with everyone. Sure its a bit of work to put the series together every year, but the memories and friends we gain every year, and the ones we keep from year to year to year to year to year are more than worth it. So whether you are celebrating Christmas, Chanukah, Kwanzaa, Festivus, Diwali, or nothing at all over the next few days, remember this time of year is all about friends and families. And as Newt Cole said way back in 2009 (at 9:25, but seriously, rewatch the entire video), the CCC is all about the people, and we couldn’t agree more. Happy Holidays!