Phil: Do you ever have déjà vu, Mrs. Lancaster?
Mrs. Lancaster: I don’t think so, but I could check with the kitchen.
In 1992 the downtown square of Woodstock, IL was used to film the movie Groundhog Day. That filming location is 0.8 miles from the starting grid of this Sunday’s race. Rob Curtis and the Psimet crew have decided to carry some of the themes of the movie into the race this year. If you’re interested in looking over the filming locations for the movie there is a great map for self-guided tours here: woodstockgroundhog.org/pages/tour.html
- Remember to use #psiCX on Twitter and Instagram.
- Psimet has extensively condensed the course and moved it to the ridge/sled hill area on the North-Eastern section of the park. The only road crossing will be closed. These two factors increase rider safety and will help make viewing for everyone a whole lot more fun.
- With this in mind there will be some logistical obstacles for all in attendance. There is plenty of parking throughout the park but parking that is close to the reg tent is in short supply. We have therefore designated 2 gear drop off areas for teams hauling their encampment supplies as well as riders with an entourage of bicycles that need to get into the pits. We ask that you use these areas for drop off then park farther away to help others do the same.
- There is a baseball game scheduled to take place at 10 am at the “Dream Field”, the large ball field next to where the start line has historically been. While there is plenty of parking throughout the park – please be mindful you might have to roll around to other locations before finding a spot. Plan you timing accordingly.
- As with all previous years there is NO PARKING ON THE GRASS. This is probably one of the strictest rules the park and city have for the facility.
- This park has “always” had a “no alcohol” policy. So when you bring in lots of cups for your soda and lemonade Psimet asks that you pack out what you bring in. It helps Psimet make sure the park doesn’t think we have a drinking problem if there aren’t a lot of juice boxes laying around.
- The Chicago Pizza Boss food truck will once again be in attendance. You know the lines can be long and it’s a long trip for them – might not be a bad idea to have a backup just in case.
- Equipment Pits will be nearly full UCI size with stalls. There is NO water or washing facilities at the race though so if conditions look to be getting worse then please plan your own support accordingly. Just know that you have a full sized pit to utilize.
- Currently the weather forecast is for 100% chance of awesome with race time temps between the mid 40’s and mid 60’s.
- Daylight savings time ends the morning of the race this year so don’t forget to move you clocks back – otherwise you’ll be an extra hour early for your race. There are worse things that can happen though. You’re welcome.
- There won’t be much if any daylight left after the last race ends, so please plan accordingly. Also if you can please help Psimet and the South Chicago Wheelmen tear down the course so they aren’t doing it all in the dark.
- The first rider up Heckle Hill each race will be the winner of a “Tip Top Café” blueberry pie prime baked by PSIMET’s own Sydney Guagliardo through Whisk Bakery and Coffee in Wauconda, IL. Rob had a great discussion with Sydney about racing on his Road Is Dead Podcast this week. If you haven’t listened to the podcast yet Rob covers a bunch of CCC related topics. You can find Syd’s episode here (we apologize in advance for all the graphic innuendos).
- Preliminary staging will be here.
- Psimet will award payouts to the Women Cat 3 field. $200, 5 deep.
- UPDATE: Kids race at 2pm!
- The course is also available for virtual pre-ride right now using BKOOL. You don’t even have to use a BKOOL device. Any smart trainer should interface and the accounts are free.
- As mentioned above the course is A LOT different than in years past. The Western woods and sand are gone. But there are still hills, and lots of them. Direction is anti-clockwise, meaning you will exit the start chute to the left and head South on the first lap.