CCC Tuesday Updates – 20170822
August 22, 2017
- Hopefully you used proper eye protection yesterday watching the eclipse and are reading this instead of sitting in the optometrist office. Seriously, safety first. Speaking of… if you’re riding your bike without a helmet on (its is a USAC rule) at a CCC event you can be disqualified.
- We’re looking forward to seeing everyone on Thursday at the Rapha Clubhouse for our CCC Kickoff Party. See you there!
- The Half Acre CX Eliminator at Big Marsh is on Saturday and the xXx Relay Cross in Jackson Park is on Sunday so brush up on those CX skillz
- Online pre-reg for all CCC events is hosted on BikeReg.com. All events with the exception of Melas will be up on BikeReg later this week. A few notes:
- Pre-reg for Caldwell Woods will open next Monday 8/28 at 9am.
- All remaining events except for Melas will open the following Monday 9/4/17.
- With the category changes this season we had to make quite a few tweaks and we’re only human. So if you see something we missed, shoot us an email at ChicagoCrossCup at gmail so we can fix it. Thanks!
- Please pay attention to field limits as some have changed this year based on field sizes last year. We do our best to accommodate everyone and give everyone a chance to race without having overly enormous field sizes. When a field limit is reached its waitlist will then open. You are not charged an entry fee for a race until you are moved off that waitlist, which could be the day after online pre-reg closes (once we clean up the data). If you don’t receive an email before race day saying you got moved into the race from the waitlist, come to the race ready to pay since the race promoter can NOT charge your credit card through BikeReg at the race.
- In cases where 2 categories are on course at the same time there is a combined field limit. Once that combined field limit is reached, both categories are closed and the waitlist for both open (see above).
- Up until now CCC race promoters have absorbed the cost of all service fees (BikeReg is a business after all and their employees have to finance their cycling gear and racing too), baking those fees into the cost of the race. Starting this season rather than raising entry fees outright those BikeReg service fees (<$3) are being passed through to you when you pre-register. Yes, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics inflation is low, but it still occurs and CCC entry fees have remained the same for many, many years. None of our race promoters are retiring to St. Maarten with the money they make from hosting an amateur pedal bike race. But one of our series goals is to have all race promoters stay out of the red so they can host their race again and again and again for many years to come.
- We’re still looking for series sponsors and volunteers. Email us at ChicagoCrossCup at gmail if you are interested.
- And finally… with all that’s going on in the world remember we’re all here to have fun and ride our bikes. In the words of Bill and Ted, “be excellent to each other.“