2017 Wheeling Heritage CX Preview
November 16, 2017
- Cyclocross returns to Wheeling, Illinois hosted by the Northbrook Cycling Club. The Wheeling Heritage Park CX will be held at 333 W. Dundee Road. Extensive Park renovations were completed in 2014, adding athletic fields, walking/riding paths, a pavilion with a band shell, and lots of parking. They even managed to fit in a cyclocross course for one fine November day.
- Note Again, the venue has changed from last year’s location at Melas Park. DO NOT GO TO MELAS.
- Heritage Park hosted the Wheeling CycloCross Grand Prix in 2004, stop #3 in the Chicago Cyclocross Cup series in its first year. Nine categorized races were crammed into a 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. race day schedule. No start grids, pits, neutral service, announcers, etc. The Northbrook Bicycle Club and Wheeling Park District take us back to those simpler times, but now with all the amenities you’ve come to expect and enjoy.
- Situated blocks from Wheeling’s famous restaurant row, the Chicago Executive Airport, the Des Plaines River Trail, Metra’s North Central Service (Sorry, for scouting only. The line doesn’t run on Sundays). Bring your appetites, planes, helicopters, gliders, canoes, cars, and/or bikes. The park is very accessible.
- The Wheeling Park District will be hosting a Pizza and Chili Garden with Beer too. Pizza is delivered from a famous, local pizzeria, and chili with optional toppings provided is by the Chevy Chase Country Club for the CCC. Hot cocoa, coffee, and soft drinks too.
- Sorry drones are not allowed due to proximity to the airport. You’ll be racing in restricted air space, at least your lungs may feel that way. The aerial views will have to come from the top of the anti-basin we’ll call “Heritage Hill”.
- Warming Up: The park paths will be open. Please be mindful of others in the park and yield to any pedestrians / other park users. The buildings on site are open to warm up from the weather. The recreation center situated between the two larger parking lots has facilities available for use. Please do not bring bikes into the buildings.
- Speaking of warm, temps are forecasted for the upper 20’s and low 30’s on Sunday, so please dress and pack appropriately.
- No alcohol per park rules except for purchase in the designated Pavilion Garden. Please be respectful of the park and behave so we can come back again next year.
- Parking: The lots are huge. Please use them and stay off the grass and trails with any cars or trucks. Please use the two large east and west lots and leave the angled center lot open for rec center patrons.
- Pavilion grass. Please refrain from setting up any tents in the pavilion lawn. There is an irrigation system that could be compromised by any overcooked stakes. Suggested tent spaces are on the map below.
- Volunteers needed: Robert Paetsch is looking for a few volunteers to help with course set up, marshalling, and repair. Please email your interest and sign up here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0b45aca6292-wheeling. Volunteers race for free and have lunch provided.
- Weather – Its going to be cold. Please bundle up and plan accordingly.
- Preliminary staging will be posted here.
- The course: Flatlandia’s ace course designer Ted Burger is back to
inflict help find the best layout and lines in this unique space. The first third of the course is flat, but transitions to off camber as the course traverses the outdoor pool embankment over to the featured hill. There will be a short course option for the Women Cat 4/5 and Junior 9-14 races. Course runs anti-clockwise. Please note the location of course crossing and how to get from the East side of the course and staging grid to the west side of the course and equipment pits. This is a new venue for everyone, so please work with us and the Northbrook Cycling Club.