- The season is almost here!
- The xXx Racing Relay Cross is this coming Sunday in Warren Park (please do not show up to Jackson Park). Some great team names in there. We’ll have a course preview up on Thursday.
- Get your bike(s) cleaned up and ready to race now, don’t delay. There are many local bike shops that will be very happy to help you. Many of them are even series sponsors, so help them, help you, help us, help you.
- Speaking of series sponsors, last call for series sponsors. Please let us know if you’d like to be involved.
- Speaking of being involved, the CCC official kick off party will be at the Rapha Chicago Clubhouse on Thursday 9/6/18 at 6pm. There will food and dranks, a silent auction and raffle with proceeds going to West Town/Blackstone, Kenny will be MC, we’ll say a few words from the series, and there may even be a mechanic’s challenge. Please join us, we look forward to seeing everyone!
- And finally… as we are all getting ourselves and our bikes ready for the season, remember there are a bunch of kids and young adults that race alongside us that could use a little help with their bikes. If you have extra equipment (especially frames) or clothing that is collecting dust and could use a good home, please consider donating it to Blackstone Bicycle Works or West Town Bikes. Either organization will gladly accept your gear or clothing during regular business hours.
Category: 1 – Sponsors
- Just a few quick updates this week.
- The schedule page is updated with all HICX and WCA CX events.
- The UPB CX Camp for Juniors is
nextthis weekend on 8/19. Online reg and details are over on BikeReg.
- xXx Racing’s Relay CX is the following weekend on 8/26 in its new location in Warren Park.
- Online pre-reg on BikeReg is now open for Hopkins Park and Caldwell Woods. Make sure to have your USAC annual license renewed AND your correct license number in your BikeReg rider profile. Most of the other events will open in early September.
- We’ve finalized the new payout schedule for 2018 and its here. Email us with any questions/concerns.
- And finally… our 2018 series sponsorship drive is still going on but we’re happy to announce our newest series sponsor, Tailwind Cycles Chicago. Steven, Ben, and Rawny have been local mechanics on the Chicago scene for years and you more than likely saw their white mobile service truck at most of the CCC events last year. Please join us in officially welcoming Tailwind to the CCC family.
- Online pre-reg opened this past Sunday evening for xXx Racing’s Relay CX race on xXx’s website. NOTE the venue has changed this year to Warren Park on Chicago’s North side West Ridge neighborhood. Grab your partner, get your ridiculous team names and high fives ready, and doh-see-doh to the unofficial kickoff race of the CCC season. And make everyone’s life easier and pre-reg now.
- Speaking of online pre-reg, we have set up BikeReg pages for all of the series races and reg will open next Monday morning for Hopkins Park and Caldwell Woods. Reg for the rest of the races in the series will open in early September after the events have been permitted by USAC.
- The Svens are coming again! Catch xXx Racing’s Sven-nado Clinic on 9/15 or 9/16. Details on xXx’s site here.
- A few reminders if you haven’t been reading this site over the last few weeks:
- The Single Speed ladies will have their own separate start this year immediately after the men.
- Hopkins Park will be the first race of the series this year on 9/9 with Caldwell Woods 2nd on 9/16.
- Wheeling Heritage CX also moves up a week to 11/11 and Pheasant Run back a week to 11/17 – 11/18 (the weekend before Thanksgiving and the last races before Montrose).
- Payouts will only be going to the Women Cat 1/2 and Men Cat 1/2/3 fields this year. But the top 3 in every category will still get their 15 seconds of fame on the podiums.
- And finally… there are still a few spots left in UPB CX Camp for Junior on 8/19. Online reg and details are over on BikeReg.
- A few updates to get you going now that road season is over.
- One larger change we’re making this year is something we’ve been thinking about for a while and also following a trend we’ve seen around the country in cyclo-cross and road events. This year the series will not have cash payouts for any categories except for both men and women Cat 1/2‘s. We’re still working out the final details, but the Men and Women Cat 1/2 fields will pay deeper than last year’s 5 deep (probably 10) and we’ll of course maintain parity. Given that probably half of payouts are never picked up anyway or are donated back to the series’ charities, we’re 99.9% sure no one is financing their kids’ college tuition or their next full suspension gravel bike with CCC payouts. Final details to come but let us know if you have any questions.
- Trek Bicycle in Wicker Park is having a Ladies’ Night Out party on Thursday 8/9/18 from 7:00pm – 9:00pm geared towards women cyclists of any level and discipline. There’ll be food, drinks, giveaways, and speakers during the event. You can find more details on their facebook event page.
- Remember the UPB Juniors CX Clinic on August 19th.
- The Svens are coming, again, this time in a Sven-nado. Saturday, Sept 15th, 10:00 am – 4:00 pm OR Sunday, Sept 16th, 4:30 pm – 7:00 pm (riders may only attend one day). Check out xXx Racing’s site for more details.
- Half Acre is again hosting their CX Eliminator race on Saturday 9/29/18 at Big Marsh. We’ll publish details when we receive them.
- Blackstone Bicycle Works is hiring a Full-time Program Manager. Strong candidates will be people-focused and strategic thinkers. Deadline to apply is August 8th. More information is here or contact Matthew Searle (773.241.6044, [email protected])
- And finally… our friends at the Rapha Clubhouse Chicago are again hosting our 2018 CCC Kick Off party, on Thursday evening 9/6/2018. We’ll have dranks, maybe some food, a raffle to benefit West Town and Blackstone, and all the normal cheer to help start the season off right on the right foot (or left if you’re a goofy foot like Kevin Powels). We hope you’ll join us for an hour or two in casual street clothes (or dress up if that’s your thing) before we start racing!
Hey gang! Its been a while but THE CX season is less than 8 weeks away and we here at the CCC have been away at summer camp and getting ready. Just a few quick updates this week about some small changes we’re putting into production to make the series the best it can be. Be on the look out over the next few weeks for a few more updates as well.
- Or friends at SRAM are returning once again as the series title sponsor.
- We’ll also have One2Go on timing, the new in-house SRAM NRS in the pits, and as always Kenny on the mic.
- Online pre-registration for all races will again be hosted on BikeReg.com. Don’t worry, you’re not missing anything, we’ll have the reg pages online sometime in mid-August.
- Today we’ll official kick off our annual volunteer and sponsor drive. If you’d like to be involved with the series in a consistent way and/or sponsor the series please email us at [email protected] and let us know.
- This year the Single Speed Women will have their own start time immediately following the Men but before the Junior 15-18’s. This will put all the SS ladies on equal footing at the start of each race for series points, make it easier to score, and probably make it more fun for everyone too. As with any men’s USAC field the ladies can still race with the guys if they want to.
- Although last year we originally planned to convert the Women Cat 3/4 field into just Women Cat 4 for 2018 we’ve had several requests to keep the Women Cat 3/4 field as is, so that’s what we’re going to do for 2018.
- A few scheduling changes. Hopkins Park will start the series this year followed by Caldwell Woods. We’ll then have a 2 week break for the nearby World Cup races (see below). Wheeling Heritage and Pheasant Run are also swapping dates later in the season. These changes are already reflected over on the schedule page.
- Speaking of schedules, the dates of the two UCI World Cup races here in the states, Jingle Cross and the Trek CXC Cup, as well as several other larger races are on the schedule page. We’ll have the HICX and Wisconsin series dates updated on our site soon.
- Remember also that USA Cycling National Championships are [back] in December this year and being held in Louisville, KY.
- Juniors, pencil in Sunday 8/19/18 for local clinic. Details TBD but coming soon.
- And finally… reports that #RoadIsDead are completely false. Our good friends and fantastic coffee roasters & baristas over at the Intelligentsia Cup kick off their series this Friday. If you’re not already racing it as prep for the CX season, definitely try to catch one or more of the races. The production is top notch and the racing is fast and hot. We might be even swing by to see what all the fuss concerning this young series is about.
- The Afterglow hosted by the Chicago Cuttin’ Crew was rad as it always is. Lots of good racing and all for the great cause of supporting Blackstone Bicycle Works and West Town Bikes. This race is all about fun, but it was scored and results will be posted soon.
- Speaking of results, we hosted the 2017 Series Awards Party on Sunday. Lots of good cheer and conversation. Congratulations to all the series winners.
- And finally… our Series Title Sponsor SRAM hooked us up with a set of ZIPP Firecrest wheels to benefit the entire Chicagoland cycling community. We want to share the love as far as possible so we’re holding a raffle to benefit our 3 series charity organizations Big Marsh, Blackstone Bicycle Works, & West Town Bikes. Between now and New Years Eve on BikeReg buy as many $5 raffle tickets as you like. All proceeds will go directly to and be split evenly between these three great organizations. Seriously, buy as many as you like, all the money is going to great causes. Have too many wheels already? You can purchase raffle tickets in someone else’s name. Don’t live anywhere near Chicago? No problem, we’ll ship to anywhere that’s legal for us to do so (sorry DPRK). Not bad for a $5 raffle ticket. The only thing we ask is that you use these wheels yourself or give them to a friend, family member, or someone who will appreciate them. In the spirit of the holidays and doing the right thing, please do NOT resell these wheels for more money than you paid for them. Thanks. The winner will be drawn at random on New Year’s Day as soon as we
shake off our malort hangoverget back from our first great ride of the new year. The winner will receive: One (1) shiny brand new set of Zipp Firecrest Wheels (front & rear), Model 202, 303, 404, 808 (sorry NO NSW), Rim brake or disc, SRAM or Campy. Learn more about Zipp’s Firecrest technology at http://www.zipp.com.
- Happy Holidays from the entire Chicago Cyclocross Cup community!!!
- Lots of CX events coming up. But if you haven’t checked out this site in a while, please have a look at our 5/30/17 post outlining the changes we’re making to this year’s series.
- Thursday 8/24 CCC Kickoff Party at the Rapha Clubhouse
- Saturday 8/26 Half Acre CX Eliminator at Big Marsh
- Sunday 8/27 xXx Relay Cross in Jackson Park
- Also remember the Trek CXC Cup (WI) and Jingle Cross (IA) are both in September and both are UCI World Cup events this year. We purposely do not have CCC events on these weekends so you can go and see these big shows.
- Want to be involved with the CCC as either a series sponsor or a series volunteer? We have plenty of room for anyone and everyone in both. Contact us at ChicagoCrossCup at gmail so we can discuss details.
- And finally… today we are officially and sadly saying goodbye to the green machine, the Village-Verdigris CX team after 11 years of being a part of the CCC. From Juniors to Women to Masters, VVCX has produced some of the best riders in the CCC both on and off the bike. But fear not as Tim, Vince, and the guys have recast the mold, in eye searing orange, as Team F3 p/b 7 Miles Cycles. You may already know F3 Cycling as the group that brought us FormMount (and more to come) and 7 Mile Cycles is the rebranded Village CycleSport in Elk Grove (Note the Arlington Heights and Barrington VCS locations are still there and separate owners). Look for this team to pick up right where they left off last season.
Quick update for a hot and humid still-Summer but #cxiscoming update.
- Half Acre hosts the CX Eliminator on Saturday 7/26 at Big Marsh and registration is open.
- xXx Racing hosts Relay Cross on Sunday 7/27 in Jackson Park and registration is open. High Fives!
- Join the Chicago Cyclocross Community for a season kick off party at the Rapha Chicago Clubhouse in Wicker Park on Thursday 8/24/2017 at 7pm!
- The party starts at 7pm, and everyone is invited, but please RSVP here.
- Mingle with and hear from series and race directors about the series and upcoming season while raising a pint.
- Meet and chat with sponsors such as SRAM, ABUS, PSIMET, Pony Shop, SnowyMountainPhotography, Illinois Bicycle Law, Clif Bar and more.
- Raffle of $5 per ticket with 100% of all proceeds going to West Town Bikes and Blackstone Bicycle Works!
- We hope everyone had a great Memorial Day weekend. The weather is finally getting better and road racing is in full swing, so… time to talk CX, right?
- First up, no changes to the event schedule. The CCC series is again (tentatively) 11 events. All tentative dates are updated here on the CCC schedule page.
- Caldwell Woods hosted by xXx Racing is back as the first race, hopefully no floods this year.
- The Carpentersville event will again be at the Woodland Elementary School.
- The Indian Lakes Resort (ILR) shut down last year, but the South Chicago Wheelmen (SCW) have secured a 2 day venue at Pheasant Run Resort (#PRR?) not far from ILR.
- Holy cow its September, all the Labor Day sales have passed, Road is Officially Dead, its still hot as 7 inches from the midday sun, and CX IS.FINALLY.HERE.!!!
- Reminder that the first race in the CCC series is THIS SUNDAY 9/11/2016 in LaBagh Woods hosted by xXx Racing-Athletico. Online pre-reg is open on BikeReg and there is still room in all categories, but please, please, please don’t wait until the last minute to reg. The weather looks great for Sunday and pre-reg is so much easier on everyone than reg’ing at the venue. Look for the course preview on Thursday.
- Speaking of online pre-reg… all CCC races are now open on BikeReg if you’d like to part with your hard earned cash dollars now.
- If you didn’t see the announcement on their website, due to a scheduling conflict xXx Racing-Athletico had to reschedule the cyclocross clinic with the Svens from Tuesday 9/13 to Sunday 9/11 (the Monday 9/12 clinic will proceed as scheduled). Immediately following the last race of the day on Sunday at LaBagh Woods, the Svens will host a skills clinic right on the race course, focusing on mounting and dismounting, cornering, picking fast lines, barriers, shouldering, equipment setup, and other techniques. All funds from the clinic go directly to the Pieter Ombregt Scholarship Fund at Columbia College with the Svens volunteering their time as a favor to the Ombregt family. The Sunday clinic will be 2.5 hours long (4:30-7:00 pm) and is $125. Limited spots are still available! Also, Sven and Sven
willmay be hanging out starting around noon, so if you want autographs or the Svens to be on the podium with you, this may be your chance. Still no word on whether they will racing the Single Speed category.
- CCC Alumnus and all around cycling enthusiast Christopher Jensen sends us this note from Michigan… Great fun coming up on October 1, at the Beer City Growler Cyclocross and 5K Steeplechase. $2500 in cash prizes (equal payout between the Open Men and Open Women), a beer garden, The (original CCC) Flyover, One2Go Timing and Results, and a 5km run in the morning Also a special prize for the fastest combined run and “open” category CX finish time for the men and women. October 1, Wilcox Park in Grand Rapids, MI – http://www.usacycling.org/
- The CCC would like to welcome 2 new
series sponsorspartners to the CCC family:
Achieve Orthopedic Rehab Institute Sports Medicine – We pride ourselves in personal attention, through each step of the process. You literally feel the difference, every day.
Stio – Designed and tested in Jackson Hole, Stio clothing blends modern mountain style with technical performance. The Stio Mountain Studio™ at 1719 N. Damen Ave is bringing mountain soul to Chicago.
- And finally… before we get started with the season a quick PSA; its cyclocross, we’re all excited, we’re all competitive, there’s plenty of #hype… but that doesn’t mean we can’t have a
littlelot of fun. Let’s keep the egos, attitude, foul language, and any behavior unfit for public display in check and enjoy the season with each other. We only have a little bit of time so we should use it the best we can. Now let’s race CX!