- Thanks again to everyone who raced in the mud last Saturday at Afterglow and for donating a ton (literally) of food. This enormous show of generosity is a perfect example of how great our Chicagoland CX community has become. The weather was the worst (or best depending on your point of view) of the year but ROBOTS <3 and the Chicago Cuttin’ Crew handled it all in style. The coffee was great too.
- Well, if you like racing on a 3 hole golf course with astroturf, you’ll love racing on a 36 hole golf course complete with a pro shop, bar, restaurant, pool, bar, hotel, spa, did we mention a bar?, and of course… a hot tub. The CCC’s New Years Resolution is back at the Hilton Indian Lakes Resort 1/5/13 and 1/6/13. A certain former national champion and current energy drink drinker will be there, as well as a rad dude with lots of tatoos, plus a lot of other really fast guys and gals. Come test your pre-Nationals legs and have some fun too. See the NYR page for more details. We still need volunteers though so please help out and race for free.
- This past Sunday the CCC was at EJ’s Place in Skokie and handed out a few overall series winner cowbells (as well as a bunch of schwag). We also presented our season long donation to World Bicycle Relief to the tune of $2,200. We think that’s pretty awesome, so thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone who donated throughout the season! Also, since the ‘send David Lombardo to Euro Cross Camp‘ fund reached its goal of $5k and went well over, Verdigris-Village CX team captain Tim Boundy made a $900 donation back to the CCC for a future CCC junior development fund. Stay tuned for details! David leaves for ECC tomorrow (Wednesday) and we all wish him the best of luck racing in Belgium!
- Series Sponsor Update from the desk of Morning Bird Studio: We’re fired up for the New Year, Hope you are too! The Bird has a ton going on in January with new workshops and the continuation of the Engine Building “off bike” throwdown series. It’s truly time to start thinking about your 2013 goals and the best way to get faster on the bike is to be the best version of yourself off the bike. This year, the class size is smaller for a better experience with an improved student teacher ratio. You will develop solid technique with more personal attention, With the goal of getting really strong, becoming more mobile and most importantly, to stay healthy all year round’. EB101 2011/12 Alumni have claimed multiple state championships, a hoard of victories and even more podiums. Lets get after it 2013!! Engine Building 201 will start Saturday January 26 and run for 8 consecutive weeks, at a cost of 240.00. Space is limited, so please register soon! Link to reg.
- If we don’t see you this week… and we likely won’t since there is no CX racing in Chicagoland for 2 weeks (gasp!?!?), have a great holiday season! If you’re riding (and you likely will since the weather is balmy) be safe and make sure to thank your family for allowing you to play bikes with us all during this past CX season. We’ll see you all at NYR!
- And finally… we can’t believe we’re linking to this.
- Up next, CX racing returns to Chicago with the Afterglow on SATURDAY. The Afterglow team has scored a brand new location–Douglas Park Golf Course! When registering to race, please consider donating those extra dollars you’re saving on the cheaper reg to the wonderful people at Blackstone Bicycle Works right from the registration page. Look for all the Blackstone kids (along with our friends West Town Bikes!) in the Juniors and 4s, and cheer them on! Intelligentsia will also have that coffee you’ll need for your second race for sale to help support West Town Bikes. Registration will be open until Thursday night at 11:59PM. More details here.
Continuing the theme of giving, Greater Chicago Food Depository has paired with the team on a food drive at the event–everyone who brings a non-perishable food item gets a coveted CALLUP. And if that’s not enough motivation to lend a hand to the needy during this holiday season, a Team Competition is in place–the team that brings in the most amount of food BY WEIGHT wins a fabulous item to impress your friends for an entire year! Sign up for the team competition here. You have until Friday at 4pm to register for the team competition ( but we will of course accept day-of donations!). The award will be given out after the Cat 4/FatBikes/Etc race. UPDATE: Please see RpbL for more information about the food drive.
- Check back Thursday morning for the course preview, including details on an epic REMATCH.
- If you have any money left for Christmas presents after all of that the CCC merch page is still open and we can deliver to you at Afterglow or via USPS before 12/25.
- On SUNDAY (12/16) the CCC hosts its annual End of the Season Awards Party at EJ’s Place in Skokie at noon. Please pre-purchase your tickets here. The coveted CCC series winner cowbells will be awarded to the overall winners, our season long donation will be made to WBR, we’ll have a bunch of fantastical door prizes, and of course the world famous Lost & Found grab.
- Need more CX racing? The CCC’s New Years Resolution is at the Hilton Indian Lakes Resort 1/5/13 and 1/6/13. See the NYR page and help us finish off the season right. We still need volunteers. Help out and race for
really cheap free.
- Then USA Cycling’s CX National Championships in Verona, WI on 1/10/13 – 1/13/13 (nearly the same course as Badger CX but entry fees increase tonight at 11pm). Andden Masters World Championships and World Championships on 2/2/13 – 2/3/13 in Bourbonland (i.e. Louisville,KY).
- And finally… winter time means its cold and dark here in Chicago, but that’s not always so bad.
Just in case you’ve been living under a rock for the last month, Verdigris-Village CX junior David Lombardo has been tearing up the local scene (2nd by a tyre width at Montrose Harbor) and is on his way to Euro Cross Camp over the Christmas holiday. Donations are being accepted until 12/15 to help pay for the trip. David has been racing for years in the CCC, first as a junior, and now with the big boys in the Cat 1/2/3 race and we couldn’t be more excited for one of our home grown speedsters to show the rest of the country (and world) what the CCC is made of. David’s parents and especially his father Chris (who is no slouch on the CX bike either) are equally excited and wanted to share the following note with everyone in the CCC Community…
Dear CCCer’s, Chicagoans, and all who have reached out from surrounding communities and beyond,
We would like to express my deepest gratitude to each of you for your support and generosity! David has worked hard, sacrificed, but most of all grown in this community and been shaped by it. Thank you for all the kind words about David, and while we may have had something to do with that, he’s spent a lot of time with all of you too. Thank you for making our job easier. Your positive outgoing attitudes, sense of community, leadership, guidance, and plain good old fashioned friendliness, well who wouldn’t want their son around that. If it couldn’t get any better than that it does. Having one the best cyclocross series in the country, The ChiCrossCup in our own back yard certainly made a difference, what a gift. You all are deeply imbedded in David’s accomplishments.
Thank you again for helping make one of David’s dream’s Euro Cross Camp a reality. We couldn’t have done it without you!
Chris & Tammy Lombardo
- Thanks to the South Chicago Wheelmen for hosting yet another double race weekend at the Hilton Indian Lakes Resort. The two days couldn’t have been much more different with sun and then rain on Saturday (including this season’s 2nd weather related delay) which created very sloppy conditions in the afternoon, followed by sun and loads of wind on Sunday that dried out the course and made for a very fast (at least with a tailwind) and tacky course. The CCC returns to Indian Lakes in less than 2 months for our UCI New Year’s Resolution races.
- This coming weekend the CCC heads to its 11th and penultimate stop in Mt. Prospect at Melas CX – Basin Racin’. Promoter Chris Henning and the Northbrook Garner Bicycle Club change venues from last year’s YMCA camp for a race a little closer to the city. Look for the usual preview on Thursday. Volunteers are still needed and you can sign up here.
- Congratulations to Village Verdigris-CX riders Mike Scalise (40+), Danny Warner (50+), Maxx Hall (Jr Men 15-18), and Gina Johnson (Women 15-18) for already sewing up the overall series titles in their respective categories. VVCX is also currently leading the Team Overall competition.
- Speaking of Verdigris Village-CX, youngster David Lombardo traveled to Louisville this past weekend to race against the best 17-18 year old CX racers in the country. David finished 7th on Saturday and 14th on Sunday. Nice racing David! Team Mack’s Jacob Schilling also lined up against the big boys. Nice racing Jacob!
- Speaking of UCI level racing, did you hear the CCC is again hosting our UCI C2 New Year’s Resolution races on January 5th & 6th 2013? See all the details on the NYR page here including how to sign up to volunteer and race for super cheap!
- Save the date, Sunday December 16th… we’re finalizing details for the CCC End of Season Awards Party at EJ’s Place in Skokie.
- And finally… GO KARL!
- Thanks to Rob Curtis and the entire PSIMET crew for hosting stop 8 of the 2012 CCC at Emricson Park in Woodstock. Some of you may not have liked the hills, but we think we can all agree the changes to the course were the best yet (even without the sandpit).
- Next up, the CCC travels to Bloomingdale for the 2nd and final double weekend (CCC races 9 & 10) of the year at the Hilton Indian Lakes Resort (ILR) hosted by the South Chicago Wheelmen. SCW always hosts a great race (or two) and this is not a weekend to miss. Make a weekend of it and book your hotel rooms now. Look for the course preview on Wednesday (since there’s a race on Saturday). Also remember online pre-reg on BikeReg closes Wednesday night for both days, so don’t miss it!
- Speaking of Indian Lakes, UCI level racing returns to Chicagoland January 5th & 6th 2013 with the Chicago Cyclocross Cup New Year’s Resolution. Online pre-reg on BikeReg is now open and all the information you could possibly ever want is on the NYR page of this site and in the Tech Guide. The CCC needs a bunch of volunteers to make this race happen and we need your help. Sign up here first and then contact us at ChicagoCrossCup@gmail.com for details about extremely ultra super low discounted race entry fees and/or merchandise in exchange for volunteering before reg’ing on BikeReg.
- Speaking of merchandise, we still have a few 2012 series t-shirts and coffee mugs (socks & embro too) for sale on our merch page. If you’ve already order some gear please see us this weekend at ILR to pick up your stuff.
- Speaking of stuff (okay that was a bad segue) there are several non-CCC series races happening between now and NYR. Check the Illinois Cycling Association BikeReg page for details (Norge & Afterglow) and USAC (Miller Chill).
- Congratulations to Verdigris-Village CX’s 16 year old (17 CX age) phenom David Lombardo for some great finishes this past weekend (okay really all season long) at the Cincy3 races. David’s 5th and 6th places in Cincy (not to mention his win at the USGP Planet Bike cup) have landed him in 5th place on USAC’s Cyclocross National Calendar standings and should help in his bid to attend this season’s Euro Cross Camp. Fantastic racing David and we wish you (and a few other locals) good luck this weekend at the Louisville USGP.
- And finally… say what?
- Holy cow, the weather has made a turn for the
worse better in the last week. We went from 90+ degrees and the worst drought in 80 years to 60’s, rain, wind, more rain, lots of clouds, and more rain. CX must be on the big man upstairs mind!
- The CoEd open field is filled up for next weekend’s (wait, what, already?) xXx Racing CX Relay Race. There are still plenty of spots in all other categories, but please, please, please, please, please Pre-Reg and don’t wait to reg day of. Pre-reg is always easier on everyone, but its especially helpful at the Relay.
- Speaking of BikeReg, make sure to update your rider profile now, especially your USAC license number. PENDING is not a valid license number!
- Calling all Sponsors. While we’ll gladly accept sponsors any time during the season, we need to finalize the sponsor list by August 31st in order to get everyone’s logos on the t-shirts. That’s the long way of saying, if you’d like to sponsor the series, please get in touch with us as soon as possible!
- And finally… when did you all get so creative with your team names?
- Now that CX season is officially, officially over the CCC site will be dormant for a few months. We’ll have sporadic updates as needed, but don’t expect much content until June-ish. Head over to ChicagoBikeRacing, The Bonebell, or your favorite online news site for your warmer weather cycling fix.
– We know its a long way off, but the Chicago Cyclocross Cup New Year’s Resolution will be back again next season as a 2 day, UCI C2 event. The CCCNYR was originally scheduled for 12/29/2012 – 12/30/2012 but we have pushed the dates back one week (1/5/2013 – 1/6/2013) to again coincide with the weekend before the US National Championships in Verona, WI which take place from 1/9/13 – 1/13/13.
- CX Masters World Championships (1/29/13 – 2/1/13) have also been pushed back from this year’s dates to the days immediately before CX World Championships (2/2/13 – 2/3/13). You may want to book your hotel rooms soon. See dates here (choose 2013 & All Competitions).
- And finally… Happy Valentine’s Day.