- We’re back at it again! Now that officially #roadisdead we’ll have more regular updates leading up to and into the CX season.
- But before we get there, and possibly half way in between, check out the Chicago Cinder Classic on Sunday August 20th, hosted by ActiveTrans.org. Four racers. Two single speed bikes. One cinder track. Should be lots of fun. If you’ve ever watched the film “Breaking Away” or seen the cinder track relay race at Indiana University, you know how fun and exciting these races can be. Each team of four racers will ride 100 laps (25 miles) on identical single speed bikes.
- Speaking of events, Half Acre’s CX Eliminator (8/26/17) and xXx Racing’s CX Relay (8/27/2017) are just over one month away. These are not CCC series events, but a great way to ease into the season. We’ll have BikeReg pages for CCC series events set up sometime in August. In the meantime, the updated event and race day schedule as well as lots of other dates are over on the schedule page.
- And speaking of xXx Racing, the club is hosting the Return of the Svens for another year here in Chicago. Check out details and sign up for the clinics here.
- And finally… if you haven’t already, now is the time to start getting ready for the CX season. Get the bike in tune and those tubbies glued up… or better yet take it to one of our great local bike shops, renew you USAC annual license (and make sure your CX club/team is correct), upgrade to a higher category if you feel you are ready, practice you bib number pinning techniques, read and re-read the USAC rulebook and the CCC series rules, and most importantly get your family and friends ready to either join you or at least used to you being gone all day every Sunday in the Autumn. See y’all soon!!!
Tuesday June 27, 2017
Lime Kiln Park, 2020 S Green Bay Road, Grafton, WI 53024
More info and register here:
- We hope everyone had a great Memorial Day weekend. The weather is finally getting better and road racing is in full swing, so… time to talk CX, right?
- First up, no changes to the event schedule. The CCC series is again (tentatively) 11 events. All tentative dates are updated here on the CCC schedule page.
- Caldwell Woods hosted by xXx Racing is back as the first race, hopefully no floods this year.
- The Carpentersville event will again be at the Woodland Elementary School.
- The Indian Lakes Resort (ILR) shut down last year, but the South Chicago Wheelmen (SCW) have secured a 2 day venue at Pheasant Run Resort (#PRR?) not far from ILR.
Special Thursday Edition!
This summer, in conjunction with Friends of Big Marsh, SRAM is hosting a series of 4 Short Track races at Big Marsh. on June 1, 15, 29, and July 13. The first race is next Thursday! The intent of these races – aside from having a bunch of fun – is to get people down to Big Marsh and racing on the site and ultimately start feeling out what a cyclocross event would look like at the park. These short track events can be raced on a mountain bike or a cross bike. See the flyer below.
Knock, knock, knock… is this thing still on?
Hi all, its finally Springtime and we’re clearing the cobwebs and peering out into the sunlight. We’ve been hard at work and toiling away deep in the the CCC evile lair over the winter, but we finally have some updates and news for you. Our fingers are still cold though and our typing skillz need some polish, so you’ll have to wait until next Tuesday. Check back then so we can start up the 2017 season conversation. #crossiscoming
Hi all, super quick and short update… USA Cycling Cyclo-cross Nationals are happening this week in Hartford, CT. Good luck to everyone racing. This year’s 45+ series overall winner JW Miller from Madison, WI already won today’s 50+ non-championship race!). USAC is all over the Twitters, Instagram, and the Facebook with real time updates and One2Go is providing the same live results as we use during our series over on LiveLynxResults.com. USAC will also live stream the Elite races on Sunday on their YouTube channel. If you don’t have Internets or just want to hang with a bunch of local Chicago CX’ers to watch all the action, join the Rapha Chicago Clubhouse for their US Cyclocross Nationals Viewing Party from 12pm to 2pm on Sunday January 8th. Rapha will be providing snacks and beverages while showing the racing action live on their TVs. See you there!
- Thanks to everyone who came to the 2016 Awards Party at EJ’s Place on Sunday. We had a good time sharing stories, more than a few laughs, and a great recap of the season. We can’t wait to hear those series winner bells ringing next season.
- Congrats to everyone who raced on Saturday up in Madison at the MidWest Regional CX Championships. Results are here and it looks like 2 Chicagoland riders took home jerseys!
- If you weren’t at the Elbo Room to see Los Borrachos on Friday night, you missed out. It was a stellar show and so much fun to catch up with so many of you off the bike.
- Good luck to anyone and everyone heading to Hartford, CT for the USA Cycling Cyclocross National Championships. We’ll be watching and listening between 1/3/17 and 1/8/17 to see how everyone races.
- And finally… this website will be settling down for the long winter as we retreat into the CCC evile lair to plot out next year’s awesomeness. While we won’t be posting anything new here for a while our email address is always open and active, so if you have any suggestions, criticisms, praise, or just want to chat don’t hesitate to drop us a line.
- And finally, finally… we here at the CCC wish everyone a very Merry Christmas (or however you may celebrate the holiday season) and Happy New Year! Whether you’re spending time on the (fat) bike, racing into and through January, or just chillin’ and drinking eggnog every night for the next 3 months… please enjoy the off season with your family and friends and we’ll see you again next September for the 2017 Chicago Cyclocross Cup!
- Before we get started, Happy Birthday to Dr. Nathan Schneeberger, the man behind the lens of Snowy Mountain Photography!
- Afterglow was a bunch of fun and relaxing. The weather didn’t show up as expected, which was a good thing after Montrose, but the Cuttin’ Crew still knows how to throw a party. Thanks to everyone who race or donated to benefit West Town Bikes & Blackstone Bicycle Works. We also handed off the accumulation of our season long donation collection in the form of $700 each to West Town and Blackstone to help them move forward into 2017. So THANK YOU to everyone who donated this year.
- Tickets are now on sale on BikeReg for this Sunday’s 2016 CCC Awards Party at EJ’s Place in Skokie. Doors open at noon and we’ll be finished by 4pm. Besides the sweet winners’ cowbells we’ll also have prizes provided by SRAM, ABUS, Main St Bikes, The Pony Shop, Smart Bikes Parts, and others. We look forward to seeing you all there.
- Also at the awards party, unfortunately Tyger Johnson will NOT be joining us as he has some family matters to attend to. Still please read about his fantastic story here and we will try to get him out to party next year.
- Speaking of parties, don’t forget Los Borrachos hit the stage at the Elbo Row this Friday at 8pm.
- And finally… it is with great sadness for us but loads of excitement for her that we say goodbye (for now) and safe travels to the CCC’s media coordinator extraordinaire Kelly Clarke as she leaves town and heads West to accept a position at USA Cycling in Colorado Springs, CO. Kelly came to us several years ago saying she wanted to help and be involved in some way. She then proceeded to take over our Twitter feed to capture every.single.podium.ever., write press releases, heard more than a few cats, and do more behind the scenes work than we can remember. We’ll miss you a lot a lot but can’t wait to see the work you’ll do at the national level.