- Major thanks again to the entire Comrades Cycles crew for being flexible and hosting another great Hopkins Park CX, this time at Indian Lakes Hotel. Conditions were wet and soggy and grassy in the morning, but dried out as the day progressed, and the weather was absolutely cross-tastic! Congrats to everyone who raced and continues to make the CCC the Best Amateur CX Series in the Country.
- Results and links are posted on the CCC Overall Series Standings GoogleSheet.
- Still looking for pictures of yourself from the weekend? Check out both SnowyMountain Photography and Mike Nauman for great pics from Sunday. See also the pics post for other rider galleries and videos. Thanks to everyone who populates those posts with #content!
- Next up, the Beverly Bike and Region Racing crews take us to stop #3 of the 2019 CCC at Pulaski Woods in Palos… for the first time ever. Although Palos has a deep history of cyclocross racing, and as Kenny likes to remind us every.single.week. the very first USA National Cyclo-cross Championships were held there in the 1960’s. We’re just as interested as you to find out what the new venue has in store for us.
- Online pre-registration on BikeReg closes per usual at midnight on Thursday. Look for the course preview at 9am on Thursday morning. We’re also going to hold on to the previous #hashtag of #drwcx, just because.
- As of right now there are no plans or expectations to change venues again (despite Internet Twitter rumors). That being said, there is rain in the Friday forecast, so check back here often, watch your inboxes for emails via BikeReg, and follow us on the Twitters for real time updates.
- Does your bike need some love after 2 weekends of mud and wet? We know Tailwind Cycles and The Pony Shop have clean-up specials and we’re pretty sure any other local bike shop would be more than happy to help you out for a few dollars. Get those machines in to your LBS and cleaned up and ready to race again!
- And finally… just a friendly reminder that everyone needs to check-in at every race, even ladies with series long bib numbers. Everyone also needs to check-in AT LEAST 30 minutes before their scheduled race start time, even if you pre-reg’d online. If you just show up to the start line without checking in you will NOT be staged properly and you will not be allowed to race. So please go see those nice folks volunteering at the Reg desk AT LEAST 30 minutes before you race.
– UPDATE as of 11:04am Friday 10/4/2019 — We are headed back to Indian Lakes Hotel (250 W Schick Rd, Bloomingdale, IL 60108). Hopkins Park has received +10 inches of rain since last weekend and the land managers have asked us not to hold the race there. Comrade Cycles will design a new course, different from last weekend’s xXx Racing tractor pull. Please help us spread the word. Other details TBD and will be posted here and Twitter as we receive them. Look for an email via BikeReg in your inboxes later today. Thanks for you patience and understanding as we deal with this significantly adverse weather.
– The weather forecast has been clearing
and as of right now there are no anticipated changes for a venue change. BUT, as we saw last week, parks can change their minds at the last minute and Comrade Cycles may have to act quickly. So, please check back here regularly, follow us on Twitter, and watch your email inboxes in case something changes and we have to scramble.
– Thanks again to all our series sponsors, riders, spectators, parents, pets, etc who make our little series possible. This all wouldn’t happen without out you, so THANK YOU!!
– Online pre-reg on BikeReg closes tonight here.
– Remember those riders who pre-register will have their unofficial results emailed to them by One2Go Event Services. One2Go will also be posting live results on LiveLynx Results as riders cross the finish line each lap.
Parking : The course crosses the road so it will be closed to through traffic. There are three parking lots in the park. One of them will be accessible from the park entrance at the stop light, East Dresser Rd. The other two will only be accessible from the other park entrance just West of the light. Should all the parking in the park be taken up there is a lot on the other side of Sycamore Rd. with a pedestrian tunnel that brings you back into the park. Please see the map below.
– Staging: At the second race of the series the front row is staged by CCC series point, and then everyone else is staged by CrossResults points. Answers to all of your questions are in our FAQ here.
– Preliminary staging will be posted here tomorrow.
– Kenny will be presenting podiums for all categories, immediately after each race (except Juniors). He also takes requests for his playlists.
– Ladies: Remember if you raced last weekend to bring your series long cloth number you raced with. Even if you missed the pre-reg cutoff last night you’ll still be assigned the same series long bib number. The only exception is for the Single Speed category (sorry).
– Check-in: Also remember EVERYONE still has to check-in on race day so we know you are there. Regardless if you have a series long bib number or not.
– Food: Dave’s Slow Food will (still) again be onsite all day.
– Kiddie Cross at high noon.
– Weather: We should have great CX temperatures, but its been raining… a lot… so please plan accordingly.
– We’ll have a post up here on the site Sunday afternoon where you can post links to your photo galleries and videos so everyone can see them and themselves on Monday morning. People also use those posts to ask if anyone picked up their jackets on the start line.
– The Course: TBD
Race director and course designer Josh Arends changes things up again this year, making even more use of Hopkins Park. The course below is subject to change though depending on wet ground conditions. As is typical of Hopkins Park, expect the track to be fast and flowy if the ground isn’t too soggy. Runs clockwise.
- Wow, what a day. Thanks to everyone who made it to
Caldwell Woods Bunker HillIndian Lakes Hotel/Resort. xXx Racing made the 11th hour effort to make the race happen and you all made some incredible efforts racing in the mud. So thank you and congrats to everyone!!
- Full and official results are on USACycling.org and all the links you are looking for are on the Overall Series Scoring GoogleSheet, including CrossResults and LapTimes (provided by One2Go). Please bookmark this Sheet for future reference.
- Looking for pictures of yourself on the Internet? Friends of the series SnowMountain Photography were out on Sunday to snap some great shots. Please consider making a purchase or at the very least give them credit if using their photos.
- Next up, the series heads West to Dekalb for Comrade Cycles’ Hopkins Park. Look for the usual course preview details on Thursday.
- Just a reminder to sign your online USAC waiver in BikeReg so you don’t have to fill out a full waiver on race day. We’ll be sending email reminders this week.
- Speaking of emails, please, please, please make sure emails from BikeReg are making it past your spam filters. Just in case we have any last minute announcements again. And always check our homepage or Twitter feed, either directly or over there on the right side of the page for last minute updates.
- And finally… here’s a friendly reminder from our One2GoResults crew… please pin your bib number correctly on the side of your jersey/skinsuit… NOT your back. See examples below. #31 is perfect, the others, not so much. The finish line camera is set up to read the side of your body, not your back. And when things get muddy like these did on Sunday, it becomes even more difficult to read underneath mud on your back. Also, please put any long hair up in a pony tail. The camera can’t read through hair either.
UPDATE AS OF 9/27/2019 at 6pm
- This week the CCC returns to
Caldwell Woods Bunker HillIndian Lakes Hotel hosted by xXx Racing-Athletico. The address is 250 W Schick Rd, Bloomingdale, IL 60108. Huuuge thanks to xXx Racing for working together at the 11th hour to pull this race together to start off our season right. You read that right… Due to recent heavy rains, and a forecast wet weekend the Cook County Forest Preserve has required xXx Racing to move the course from our planned Caldwell Woods location to the Bunker Hill grove, just half a mile northwest along the North Branch Trail. To access the new location, DO NOT park at Caldwell Woods, Bunker Hill has a large dedicated parking lot accessible from Caldwell Ave or Harts Road. IMPORTANT DRIVING DIRECTIONS: If approaching from the south or east, allow extra time for travel due to road closures at the Devon/Central/Caldwell/Lehigh/ Metra intersection.
- Live results by One2Go_Results will be here: http://www.livelynxresults.com/ Watch races scored in real time!
- Online pre-reg on BikeReg closes tonight.
- On site number pick up and Day-Of Registration will be in
picnic pavilion near start finish linethe lower level Wright Room at ILR. Look for signs or asking someone who looks like they know what they’re doing.
- Remember reg closes 30 minutes before the schedule start time of each category for everyone, even if you pre-registered on BikeReg you need to pick up your number before 30 minutes before you race.
- Please do not fold or crumple your numbers. If you do you risk not being scored. Numbers on your LEFT side (not your back!).
- Remember women categories (except Single Speed) will receive cloth numbers that you will keep the entire season. Please don’t lose them! You’ll still need to check-in at every race though.
- Speaking of checking in, due to a new partnership between USAC and BikeReg, if you checked the box for the online waiver when you registered on BikeReg and entered your initials, you won’t have to sign a physical piece of paper. You will need to check in with the reg desk and pick up your bib number though. This process is new for everyone and should be more efficient, but please bear with us as we work through any hiccups.
- Unfortunately, One Day license riders (because of lawyers) will still need to sign a waiver regardless of whether you initialed the online waiver.
- Staging for all categories will be by CrossResults.com ranking as detailed on our FAQ page.
- See here for preliminary staging on
FridaySaturday. Also, please check the discrepancies page. If you name is on this page you need to either edit your BikeReg registration (and profile), renew you annual USAC license, etc.
- Results will be posted as soon as possible on the CCC’s 4 sided results board and for all pre-reg’d riders with correct/valid email address in their BikeReg rider profiles results will be emailed to you shortly after you finish. Also, One2Go will have its LiveLynx site updated in real time. Full results will be posted on USAC online Sunday night and series standings will be updated shortly afterward.
- Porta-potties will be located
in the parking lot near registrationsomewhere, TBD. Note that the old restaurant/pro shop/locker room area of the hotel is completely closed right now. There are inside bathrooms up the stairs from registration in the lobby of the hotel. xXx Racing is transferring porta potties from Caldwell to Indian Lakes. If it is indeed super muddy, please use the porta potties more than the indoor facilities.
- Parking: Parking is plentiful. Please only park in marked spots.
- Teams can set up tents anywhere. Being a (re)new(ed) venue and still working out the course, we’re not yet sure where though. It tends to be windy at ILR so please make sure to stake down your tents well.
- Double sided equipment pits staffed by SRAM NRS.
- Food: There are no restaurants or food options at Indian Lakes, but Superdawg delivers via Grubhub, Doordash, or Ubereats. Google Maps is very handy to find things.
IS permitted at Bunker Hill. If you bring your own, DO NOT bring glass bottles,Please be discreet, cans or box wine responsibly only please.
- Remember we are at Indian Lakes Hotel. NOT Bunker Hill, NOT Caldwell Woods, and NOT LaBagh Woods.
- Please continue to use the hashtag #CaldwellCX so everyone at home or in other parts of the country can follow along. You can also use #ILRCX.
- Weather: There is a good deal of rain in the forecast Friday, Saturday, and Sunday… so the ground will be “soggy”. Please plan accordingly.
- The course: As you can imagine with a last minute location change, xXx Racing is still working out the course details, so no course map right now. xXx Racing and the series will do our best to produce a course that is up to CCC standards, but please bear with us.
- Wow, the Trek CX Cup was full gas all weekend, and then the rains came on Sunday for race #2 of the World Cup. Congrats to everyone who raced, spectated, and managed to come home with less than four and a half gallons of peanut butter mud in their chamois.
- Special thanks to Maria Larkin for again organizing the young ladies shredders clinic with Katie and Kaitlin.
- So now that you’ve watched the best CX racers in the world tackle Iowa mountains and Wisconsin mud, now its our turn to have some fun! The Chicago Cyclocross Cup series officially kicks off this Sunday 9/29/19 at Caldwell Woods CX hosted by xXx Racing. Online registration will be open on BikeReg.com until Thursday night, but why wait? Look for our usual course preview Thursday morning at 9am.
- Speaking of online registration, you only have a few more days to take advantage of the 2019 CCC Season Pass. We’ll close this option at the same time as Caldwell Woods reg, because why would you sign up for past events? Remember however you can pick and choose races and you don’t have to sign up for all races in the series at once.
- Speaking of BikeReg, there’s a little check box at the end of the registration process where you can agree to and initial the USAC online registration waiver. By doing so you won’t need to sign a physical piece of paper at the venue on race day. This is a great feature, new this year, and one we highly encourage. If you can’t remember if you signed the waiver, or if you used the Season Pass (sorry, no way around this) don’t worry, we’ll be sending out emails with links to the waivers (the week before each event) from BikeReg asking you to do so. So please make sure BikeReg emails are not getting caught up in your spam folder.
- And finally… here’s your friendly annual reminder that we’re all out at these cyclo-cross races to have fun and spend some precious time with our friends, families, teammates, and fellow competitors… before the awful Chicago winter fully sets in. So while yes, we want everyone to be competitive, let’s remember to be excellent to each other and have a great time. See you all on Sunday!
- We were watching the results from Jingle Cross and there were more than a few CCC’ers who had some good results. See them all here. We also saw a bunch of Chicagoland natives in the background of the World Cup live stream. Congrats to everyone who traveled, raced, and represented the CCC well in Iowa.
- Up next, the cyclo-cross heads to Wisconsin, specifically Waterloo and the Trek CX Cup World Cup. This one is a little closer to home and now with one race weekend in the books, the racing should be even more
raceyspicey! Good luck to everyone heading North to race at Trek!
- … and then… the 2019 Chicago Cyclocross Cup officially kicks off at Caldwell Woods on Sunday 9/29/2019 hosted by xXx Racing. Reg is over on BikeReg.com and we can’t wait to see everyone there.
- The rest of the 2019 series is also up on BikeReg.com including the Season Pass.
- Lots of changes this year, so please take a few minutes to look back at our posts here over the last few weeks so you know what’s going on. Still have questions? Shoot us an email at [email protected] and we’d be happy to answer them for you.
- And finally… Chicago Magazine was kind enough to write an article about us. Check it out. Thanks Maria Larkin and Rory Jack for their comments and Cindy at Chicago Magazine for writing the article!
- Thanks to everyone who came out and participated in the our first annual Riders’ Forum at the Rapha Clubhouse. We received some great feedback and ideas, so thank you for helping to continue to make the CCC the Best Amateur CX Series in the Country.
- Good Luck to everyone heading out to Iowa City, IA this weekend to race at Jingle Cross. Race well and enjoy the spectacle that is UCI World Cup CX!
- If you’ll be around this coming weekend, Half Acre Cycling is hosting their CX Eliminator race on Sunday 9/15/19 at Big Marsh.
- Speaking of racing, online registration for all CCC series events are now listed and open on BikeReg, including the Season Pass. Pick all or some events, and register in one transaction.
- We have a new series sponsor to introduce to you. Please welcome coach Mark Payares of Lotus 1 MultiSport to the CCC family. Mike is a recent transplant to the Chicago area and knows a thing or two about coaching.
- Speaking of series sponsors, we have many returning sponsors including SRAM, Pactimo, PSIMET, Zeigler, Christopher B Burke Engineering (now on Twitter!), Main St Bikes, Spidermonkey Cycling, Michael Heagney, and VeloFix Chicago North Shore all back for another year. If you have a choice, please consider sending some of your business their way as they help make our little series possible.
- And finally… someone who has always made our series and cycling in Chicagoland possible is Mike Keating of IL Bike Law. And he will for a long time to come. As a way of showing his commitment to Chicago cycling, Mike and the CCC recently agreed to a 10 year sponsorship. Thanks Mike for looking out for us in the Chicago Cyclocross Cup, and all of us as cyclists throughout Chicagoland!!!
- Welcome to September!
- The first UCI CX race of the 2019-2020 season took place this past weekend in Virginia. So if you didn’t think CX was only coming, its already here!
- Speaking of, in about an hour you can register on line at BikeReg.com for all of the 2019 Chicago Cyclocross Cup events. Please note the new race day schedule, additional category, and other details. If you have questions, always feel free to email us directly.
- The new 2019 Season Pass is also available here. Reg for all of the events you want in a single transaction. Note the season pass link may not be live until later in the day.
- While you are on BikeReg registering for races, why not donate a few dollars to our season long charities? This year we will again be donating your donations to our 3 amazing cause, Blackstone Bicycle Works, West Town Bicycles, and Big Marsh.
- If you’re racing you’ll need gear. Check out long time series sponsor and host of the Goundhog Day PSI-clocross event, PSIMET Custom Wheel‘s new wheelset, the X. Celebrating 10 years in business, the X wheelset has the maximum possible width to properly support the 33mm UCI limit on tire widths, and provides the best contact with the tubular tire’s base tape – giving up to 60% more glue contact area than other popular wheels. The outer horn of the rim bed also has a wider and rounder profile to further eliminate pinch flats caused when the sidewall of the tire contacts the rim edges in competition. See psimet.com for more details and ordering info.
- And finally… this Thursday 9/5/2019 at 7pm the CCC will be hosting its first annual Rider Forum at the Rapha Chicago Clubhouse. Come out and interact directly with the series directors as well as other CCC participants. We want to know what you think and have to say about the series and how we can make it better for everyone. See you there!