– Returning after a one year hiatus, race promoter Ted Schweitzer (who hosted the Hawthorne Woods race way back in 2008) returns with the Verdigris Custom Homes CX team with a new and improved Psycho Cross race in Wauconda at the Golf Farm. The race also has a website at: www.psychocrosschicago.com.
– Remember the next day the CCC travels just down the road to Carpentersville. See the preview for Sunday’s race here. Online pre-reg on BikeReg.com closes for both races tonight (Thursday) at midnight.
– First some ground rules… per the owner of The Golf Farm, please leave your beer coolers and/or grills at home. This is private land and there is a restaurant/bar, so we have to play by the owner’s rules. The main parking will be on the South side of the course. Limited parking is available next to the restaurant/bar.
– Next some travel assistance. The Holiday Inn Express in Lake Zurich on Rt. #12 (Rand Road) is offering $20.00 off on a night’s stay for Saturday night for those of you who want to stay local for Sunday’s race in Carpentersville… just mention “Psycho Cross” for the discount.
– Now the fun stuff… Yes, the rumors and tweets are true, Verdigris Custom Homes has constructed the CCC’s 2nd ever flyover… deemed “The Bridge of Sighs“, which is 22’ tall, 51’ long, and 11’ wide. The structure was designed and built to look like an old world bridge, complete with covered roof, stone ‘look’ arched lower, and nice handrails. 13 steps leads you to the top… but from there you have to figure out how to get down yourself. A lot of work went into building this monster and we look forward to hearing your sighs, wales, screams, or whatever it is you do on such a piece of architecture.
– SRAM Neutral Race Support will be at the race with wheels and bikes. Swing by and say hello to José.
– Continuing with the goodies, Ted will be holding a silent auction for a set of Reynolds Strike 66 mm carbon clinchers (valued at $1550). These wheels are new in the box, and come complete with ti/alloy skewers, rim strips, tire levers, valve extenders, and carbon specific brake pads.
– Psycho CX will also have an increased payout of merchandise above and beyond the CCC standard payout. Look for goodies like Reynolds mountain bike wheels, Uvex helmets, Blue Competition Cycles pint glasses, Road ID gift certificates, BaileyWorks messenger bags, and more. If that wasn’t enough there will also be a raffle for merchandise donated by Speedgoat.
– Ted’s orthopedic surgeon and his physical therapists will also be at the race disseminating information about stretching, physical therapy, and injury prevention.
– If a rave doesn’t spontaneously start on the far side of the course, there will be a band performing towards the latter part of the day and a guy playing Led Zepplin and Deep Purple songs on accordion.
– The Gold Farm is a full service facility with a bar and restaurant (and we hope bathrooms), and… if for some reason the CX action isn’t enough for you (we can’t really imagine such a scenario but thought we’d just put it out there)… putt-putt golf for kids and a sand volleyball court.
– Finally the course itself. There isn’t much terrain to speak of but the Verdigris crew has been very creative in designing a long, fast, power course with all the trimmings including grass, dirt, gravel, mulch, twists, turns, straightaways, and of course the flyover. At just around 2 miles you’ll get a little taste of everything.