- Hi everyone, we hope you are doing well and keeping warm during this 2nd blast of the polar vortex. We know you are all a hearty bunch, but if you are outside, especially on your bicycle, be safe and keep warm. If you’re inside on your turbo getting ready for next season, then good on you!
- Congratulations to everyone who raced at USAC CX Nationals a few weeks back. We counted 2 podiums for Chicago area riders and many more great rides and finishes. What a great way to round out the domestic season!
- But the pros are still racing! This coming weekend is the CX World Championships in Hoogerheide, The Netherlands. Our national champions Katie Compton and Jeremy Powers as well as a large contingent of other great riders will be competing for the Arc en Ciel. Watch the action here on the UCI’s YouTube channel or better yet, wake up really early and head to Heritage Bicycles to watch with your CCC friends.
- And finally… the CCC site is going into hibernation for a few months, but mtb & road season is either on the horizon or already in full swing depending on how you look at it. Good luck, be safe, and most importantly have fun out there. We’ll start posting updates about the 2014 CCC season here sometime in late May or early June.
Happy New Year to everyone in CX land.
- CX season is pretty much finished here in Chicagoland. Thanks again to everyone for another great CCC series.
- If you’re still on the fence about going to Coloardo, Pro Bike Express can likely still help with the logistics.
- And finally… while we’re winding down here at the CCC, BTB TV is still providing plenty of great CX coverage through the end of January. Check out all of the programs, including Cross Talk presented by Embrocation Cycling Journal.
The WordPress.com stats helper monkeys prepared a 2013 annual report for this blog.
Here’s an excerpt:
The Louvre Museum has 8.5 million visitors per year. This blog was viewed about 350,000 times in 2013. If it were an exhibit at the Louvre Museum, it would take about 15 days for that many people to see it.
From all of us here at the Chicago Cyclocross Cup, we wish all of our riders, sponsors, families, supporters, hecklers, pets, bicycles, and… aww heck who are we kidding… everyone out there… even if you don’t race CX… a very Merry Christmas. We hope Santa brings you all everything you want and deserve…
- Thanks to Robots <3 and the Cuttin’ Crew for another wonderfully muddy Afterglow. Results are on USAC.org here. Special congratulations to Mike Kelley for winning our hearts and minds, and taking Sweet Justice home again for another year.
- If you missed the CCC Awards Party at EJ’s Place on Sunday, well then you missed a good one. Cowbells, schwag, and good cheer. Thanks to everyone who attended and thanks again to everyone for making 2014 yet another memorable year of the Chicago Cyclocross Cup.
- One last thank you to all of the CCC’s 2013 Series Sponsors and in particular our Title Sponsor Iron Cycles for another great season. For those that don’t know, Iron Cycles has recently teamed up with Embrocation Cycling Journal to bring you not only great content but also great products. Check out their website and stay tuned for how ECJ is helping to bring you even more great CX coverage.
- And finally… a letter from Lindsay Knight who not only races fast but is also the Youth Program Coordinator for Blackstone Bicycle Works:
- The Afterglow team has once again partnered with the Chicago Park District to bring the ‘Glow Douglas Park Golf Course! When registering to race, please consider donating those extra dollars you’re saving on the cheaper reg to the wonderful and very important programs at Blackstone Bicycle Works and West Town Bikes right from the registration page. Look for all the Blackstone and WTB kids in the Juniors and 4′s, and cheer them on! We will also have a donation jar at registration for you to throw in your change.
- If you’re coming in from somewhere that doesn’t have easy public transportation (hint), be sure to check the map for available spaces. There will be parking along S Thompson Drive (leading toward the fieldhouse). Please leave the fieldhouse parking lot for volunteers and park patrons, as we aren’t the only ones at the park on Saturday. There’s also parking along Inner Ogden Drive.
- The fieldhouse will be open from 9am-5pm, but since it’s not officially part of the event, we ask that you respect the other park users who may be using the facility. Leave no trace!
- RpbL & the Cuttin’ Crew WILL be accepting credit cards for on-site registration and one-day licenses. They’ll be using Square, which charges 2.75% for every transaction. That will be added to the charge and rounded up to the next cent (so $10 becomes $10.28).
- There may be food on-site, but maybe not enough for 250 people. Douglas Park is in a bit of a food desert. Learn about food deserts and what’s being done to help solve this problem here.
- Please avoid warming up on the fairways and greens! There’s plenty of park around.
- Podiums will be presented shortly after each race, and Blackstone Bikes and West Town Bikes have hand crafted prizes for our winners! You’ll definitely want to vie for these metals!
- As for the course, note the location of parking, the staging grid, and the equipment pit. Give yourself plenty of time to get your bib number, put your gear in the pit, and get to staging on time. The course runs ANTI-CLOCKWISE and numbers will be going on the RIGHT.
- Up next, your last chance to officially race CX in Chicagoland in 2013 on Saturday. Robots <3 Love and The Chicago Cuttin’ Crew host Afterglow another year at Douglas Park Golf Course! When registering, please consider donating to our friends at Blackstone Bicycle Works and West Town Bikes right from the registration page. Look for all the Blackstone kids (along with our friends West Town Bikes!) in the Juniors and Cat 4s, and cheer them on! Registration closes Wednesday at Midnight! More details here and look for all the Sweet
Jucy Justice details on Thursday Wednesday.
- The CCC Awards Party is Sunday 12/22/13 at EJ’s Place in Skokie. Won’t you join us? Tickets are for sale on BikeReg. Overall series cowbells, beer, food, fun, beer, door prizes, and did we mention beer?
- And finally… having met Anthony Clark several years ago and having him race at the first CCC New Year’s Resolution, we’re more than excited to see Behind THE Barrier TV featured him in not 1, but 2 recent episodes. Congratulation on all of your successes Anthony, and keep livin’ the #SWL!