– Double thanks to Ted Schweitzer, Verdigris, Jeff Provisor, Main St. Bikes, North Branch Cycling, and everyone else who made this past weekend’s double header a success. The two races were vastly different, but if the comment sections have been any indication, equally fun and enjoyed by all. Carpentersville even got some press in the Daily Herald.
– Notes from the weekend… Johnny Sprockets got new skinsuits, Flannel Mike and Greg got callups, as did guys with helmet cameras, and the racing was exciting all weekend long. Cookie hand ups returned (and were then promptly tossed), as did twinkies and dollar bills. Dave Lombardo finally got that elusive win in the Junior 15-18’s, and Walid hit the podium twice with his uber secret Cannondale prototype. After taking commanding wins in the Cat 4’s on Saturday, we had two riders (Liz So & John Kalnins) cat up and join the Cat 3 ranks overnight… and they road fantastic on Sunday, as did everyone else… which just goes to show that in CX, we’re all winners. Trackies and others still need to work on their handling, as do a few 4B’s, while the juniors showed off their mad BMX skillz, and lest we forget… firemen are strong. And Brian Conant may be the best CX coach in the land, but we bet he can’t dance like this!
– Up next this Sunday is another classic CCC course in Barlett’s Sunrise Park hosted by Athletes By Design (ABD) and promoter Jim Nowak. ABD is increasing the payout, but we all know the real glory is at the top of the original Heckle Hill. As always, look for the course preview Thursday morning.
– Chicagoland local rider and one time CX racer Bill Hatch is battling cancer. The Colavita Cycling Team is holding a fundraiser for Bill on Thursday October 28th at Flatlanders Restaurant and Brewery. Check out the Facebook page for more on how you can help.
– This just in from series sponsor Tipping Point Photography… Any cross racer/cross family/dedicated cross spectator who books a portrait session of 2 or more hours with Tipping Point Photography between now and December 31, 2010 will get a free matted 8×10 of the photo of their choice from that session ($45 value). We are pretty loose in our interpretation of “portrait session”: it could be you with your spouse/partner/betrothed; your children; you and your children; your pet(s); your extended family; or just awesome and fantastic YOU! With your bike, if you like! We are open to just about anything you have in mind that fits this description. (We don’t consider weddings and other celebratory events to be portrait sessions, but we do offer services for these kinds of events, too. Contact us for more info.) Send an e-mail to liz -AT- tippingpointphoto.com to talk to us about what you have in mind, and we’ll pull together a custom quote for you. Make sure to mention this special offer in your message! Check out our Portraits + Stories and our Weddings + Celebrations collections for some inspiration. Gift certificates are available, too, and make great holiday presents, though this offer does not apply for sessions booked with a gift certificate.
– Do you ride a bike on more than grass and dirt and drive a car? Illinois now has permanent, year-round “Share the Road” specialty license plates! Find more details here.
– And finally… for those of you not traveling to Louisville or Wisconsin this Saturday, Burnham Racing is hosting their annual Demilitarized Donut Ride / Apple Haus World Championship this Saturday (10/23) at 7:55AM leaving from Wicker Park in Wicker Park (if water is not falling from the sky). The ride is about 60ish miles with a turnaround and face stuffing feast at the Apple Haus in Long Grove. Leave your knobbies at home and join the Burnham boys on their annual trek to the Northwest for AppleCider Donut bliss.