– Congrats to everyone who traveled to Austin, TX for USAC CX National Championships. Waaaay too many names and results to mention here but check out full results here and collegiates here. BTB TV also has full replays of
Sunday’s Monday’s junior and elite races. Congratulations to defending champions Katie Compton and Jeremy Powers who again rode to commanding wins in their races.
– The cyclocross season is essentially done here in the good ‘ole USA, but there’s still quite a bit of racing to be had in Europe. USA Cycling will announce (soon) its selection of riders for CX World Championships, which take place Jan 31 and Feb 1 in Tabor, Czech Republic. Say it with us Tah-bore, not Tae-bor.
– And finally, the CCC site will be going into hibernation for the winter but we’ll have occasional updates as needed. We’d like to say again we had a great time again this season and look forward see you all in ~9 months!
– Good luck to all Chicagoland and MidWest CX racers heading to Austin, TX this week!
– Behind the Barriers TV will be live streaming USAC CX Nationals this weekend!
The WordPress.com stats helper monkeys prepared a 2014 annual report for this blog.
Here’s an excerpt:
The Louvre Museum has 8.5 million visitors per year. This blog was viewed about 310,000 times in 2014. If it were an exhibit at the Louvre Museum, it would take about 13 days for that many people to see it.
– If you haven’t heard Behind the Barriers TV will be live streaming USAC CX Nationals. Watch it there next weekend!
– Speaking of… good luck to all Chicagoland and MidWest CX racers heading to Austin, TX next week where it looks like you’ll be racing in shorts and maybe arm warmers!
– This spring, Craig Abrams will be conducting the second round of a study on the effect of core strength training and VO2max in cyclists. He is working with Josh Friedman, owner and coach at ATP Race Consulting and Neil Krulewitz, medical student at the University of New England in Portland, Maine. The first round of their study, which they conducted this past summer was very successful. Abrams saw trends in the data that suggest a correlation between core strength and both power output and VO2max. He plans to repeat the study in early April, and would like to recruit as many cyclist as possible to participate. Because he are using calculated VO2max, individuals can complete the study anywhere they have access to a power meter and the open road (or trainer). The researchers believe they have some great insights on the horizon for cyclists everywhere. Sign up here: http://nkrulewitz.wix.com/vo2max-study
– And finally… Happy New Year!
From all of us here at the Chicago Cyclocross Cup, to all of you out there, whether you race CX or not… have a Very.Merry.Christmas.
– A day late, but hey… its the Holidays!
– We know everyone had a great time last Saturday at Afterglow – A Cyclocross Race, hosted by the Chicago Cuttin’ Crew. This event is more about fun than race results, but more than a few riders are still racing strong in preparation for CX Nationals in Austin, TX in just 2 weeks! In any event, full results are here and here.
– More importantly than fun or results, Afterglow helps raise funds for West Town Bikes and Blackstone Bikes, two fantastic youth cycling programs based here in Chicago. Thank you, thank you, thank you to all the individuals who donated, all the parents who donated their CCC junior entry fee reimbursements ($1,000 total which the Chicago Cyclocross Cup matched), and the Pony Shop and ROBOTS <3 who both donated >$1,000 to the event. At the end of the day the Chicagoland CX community raised >5,000 total for West Town and Blackstone. This is fantastic and great way to end the Chicago CX season.
– Speaking of donations, the Chicago Cyclocross Cup has been collecting money for World Bicycle Relief throughout the season and on Monday wrote a check for $350 to WBR. In the month of December all WBR donations are matched by a wealthy member of the Chicago cycling community, so that is $700 going to WBR, enough for 5+ bikes. Again, well done everyone!
– After all the racing and donating on Saturday we weren’t done yet and the CCC (Chicago Cyclocross Cup not the Chicago Cuttin’ Crew) gave away even more awards, prizes, and gear on Sunday at the CCC Awards Party at EJ’s Place. Some tasty food, a few bottles of cheer, and pretty much everyone went home with something, not just the series winners. Thanks again to The Pony Shop, SRAM, ABUS Mobile Secuirty, Sheila Moon, Yojimbo’s Garage, Spy Sunglasses, Smart Bike Parts, Spin Doctor Cyclewerks & Red Writing for supplying the gear.
– CX racing around the country, and the world, still isn’t done yet for this season. Good luck and safe travels to everyone heading to Austin, TX for USAC CX Nationals January 7-11. And Cyclocross continues in Europe until the end of January, culminating with CX World Championships in Tabor, Czech Republic Jan 31/Feb 1. We haven’t heard of any Chicagoland riders going, but CX Masters World Championships are January 3rd and 4th in Gossau, Switzerland.
– And finally… we here at the CCC are very thankful and feel grateful to have shared another CX season with everyone. Sure its a bit of work to put the series together every year, but the memories and friends we gain every year, and the ones we keep from year to year to year to year to year are more than worth it. So whether you are celebrating Christmas, Chanukah, Kwanzaa, Festivus, Diwali, or nothing at all over the next few days, remember this time of year is all about friends and families. And as Newt Cole said way back in 2009 (at 9:25, but seriously, rewatch the entire video), the CCC is all about the people, and we couldn’t agree more. Happy Holidays!
– It looks and sounds like everyone had a good time at MWRCXC and a few Chicagoland CCC’ers even hit the podium (of course) before hitting the beer garden (of course). Congratulations to everyone who traveled and raced. Results are not yet online.
– We’re not done racing here in Chicago though… Afterglow – A Cyclocross Race is this Saturday in Douglas Park hosted by the cool kids at the Chicago Cuttin’ Crew. Prepare yourselves for the INSANEDEMONIUM 2014! Online pre-reg closes Thursday night on BikeReg.com.
– Then on Sunday we wrap it all up (quite literally) at the 2014 CCC Awards Party at EJ’s place in Skokie. Everyone is invited to attend but please purchase your tickets ahead of time so we know how many people to expect. And given the prize donations that have been coming in from The Pony Shop, SRAM, Sheila Moon, ABUS, Yojimbo’s, SmartBikeParts, Spin Doctors, Spy, Main Street Bikes, and Red Writing we’re pretty sure everyone will go home with something.
– And finally… Waaay back in August we announced Junior racers would have to pay entry fees but (if they qualified) could request an entry fee reimbursement at the end of the season. We will obviously still honor those requests but a very generous and
forward thinking “cutting” edge parent asked if they could donate their child’s reimbursement to the West Town and Blackstone youth programs, which we are more than happy to do. Then the Pony Shop caught wind of the idea and their entire junior team donated their reimbursements to West Town and Blackstone… even before winning the Afterglow awesomeness award. So juniors and your parents, please contact us at ChicagoCrossCup at gmail this week to let us know how you would like your reimbursement handled. Thanks and Happy Holidays!