2012 Jackson Park Preview
- You high fived and raced at the CX Relay (also hosted by xXx Racing)… you road tripped and raced at Patriot CX… now its time for the big leagues. This SATURDAY starts off the 9th season of the Chicago Cyclocross Cup, once again in Jackson Park and hosted by xXx Racing. Please show up on Saturday and NOT Sunday.
– Remember the parking lot next to the course is OFF LIMITS and you’ll need to park across the street in the metered lot (it only costs about $9-10 for all day). We don’t want anyone getting a ticket, so you’ve been warned. If that lot fills up, there is parking to the west of the course on Hayes Drive and to the East of Lake Shore Drive.
Please note that the CARA 20-mile run will again be taking place along the Lakefront Path on Sunday morning. xXx and the CCC urge all CX’ers riding down to Jackson Park for the race to exercise due caution and courtesy when traveling along that route. False alarm, the CARA run is on Sunday. Please still be careful on the bike path.
– The CCC is trying to be green… take a look under the floor mats of your car, dig into to seat cushins and bring your own safety pins to properly attach your bib number. Mother earth thanks you!
– Online pre-registration on BikeReg.com (say it with us… Bik Rej… like REGistration) closed last night at midnight. Entry fees increase $5 on race day. Huge thanks to the 662 of you (most # of CCC pre-reg’s ever, beating last year’s JP number of 628) that have already pre-reg’d. If you show up early in the morning, please let the 40+ racers pick up their bib numbers first since they start promptly at 8:45am. Also thanks to the 7 of your that donated to WBR when registering. If you’d like to donate your race winnings to our WBR drive, please see us after your race.
– Don’t forget Activator Cycle Club will be hosting a kiddie fun ride around 1:40pm for the under 10 crowd.
– Series sponsor CarboRocket will be out on Saturday with big coolers of CarboRocket mix and coffee (in the morning). Swing by and fill up your bottle, mug, or canteen. Temps are forecast to be in the lower 70’s with an 100% chance of awesome, but we all need to stay hydrated.
– Food. There are NOT a lot of food options in the immediate vicinity of the park, so please bring your own… or better yet ask a food truck to stop by.
– Again year we are running 100 rider field limits in all categories. In combined fields (Women 1/2/3, Masters 50+/60+, Single Speed and Women 4 & Juniors) that means only 100 riders are allowed on course at one time. We will likely hitting 100 riders in both of these fields, and xXx will be maintaining waitlists for all fields. Both Cat 4 fields are already filled, the Cat 3’s are nearly 90, and 40+ & 30+ are in the lower 70’s. That’s a lot of people to keep track of so please help us in every way possible (i.e. don’t lose your bib #, show up on time, etc)!
– Concerning waitlists… we’ll start waitlists for each filled category (SS, Juniors, Cat 4A, Cat 4B) when registration opens at 7:30am. First come first served. 30 minutes before each race is scheduled to start (yes, even if we’re running a little behind we will still close reg at the scheduled time) we’ll close out the race and reassign bib numbers to those on the waiting list. If you are pre-reg’d and show up after this time your bib will already have been reassigned and you will NOT be allowed to race. Period. If you are racing more than once and would like to give your number up to someone else so they have a chance to enjoy the thrill of heckles and whatever else goes on, thank you, and we certainly can accommodate that. Just make your way to registration as soon as possible and the reg staff will switch you in start list (just don’t give your number to the other guy/gal… you both can be DQ’d by USAC and no one wants that!).
– Please remember to register for the correct category/age group. We cannot allow you to race outside your cat/age group and the reg staff will be checking licenses thoroughly all day long. If you have a question, please ask us or a USAC official.
– Concerning call-ups… as mentioned previously we will be staging by straight CrossResults.com points and order of registration for all categories. See our thorough discussion of the topic in our post here and our standard staging procedure here. Remember CCC staging grids are 8 lanes wide. Preliminary staging info will be posted here as soon as we wrangle all the data and make sure everyone reg’d for the correct category.
– Concerning reg’ing for the correct category… no, you may not race Cat 3 if you are a Cat 4… and vice versa. Also, your CX age for the 2012 season is your age on 12/31/2013. Juniors (and their parents) please take note of this rule. Juniors 10-14 riders may race up in age with the Junior 15-18’s… but not the other way around.
– Concerning the 80% rule… we ask the USAC officials to leave as many riders in the race for as long as possible. However, pulling riders is still at their discretion in line with USAC rules. If you are told you are being pulled (always near the start/finish)… please exit the course immediately. You will still be scored and given a laps down designation.
– If you decided not to finish the race on your own volition, please let a USAC official know so you can be marked as DNF. This makes scoring the entire race a lot easier. Note that DNF’s count against your CrossResults.com score, so hang in there and finish your race!
– Full results will be posted on the CCC Results Board at the race (somewhere near registration) and online at usacycling.org/results later Sunday evening. Series standings will be posted here (please bookmark it) following each race. Remember we’re presenting podiums to the top 3 in each race immediately before the next race. So if you are in the top 3, head to the podiums right after you’re done ripping legs off. The Spidermonkeys will be presenting awards to both Juniors categories.
– We are also awarding Pactimo Series Leader Jerseys to ALL CATEGORIES. Determining the series leader at the first race is easy (the winner of the race, duh) and we’ll present the jersey on the podium. So if you won, please be present. You may even get a kiss from a podium girl.
– Juniors, remember the Chicago Cuttin’ Crew will also have extras for you.
– In addition to all of that we once again have Mad Alchemy First Lap Hot Leg primes for the Women Cat 4’s and Cat 4A’s. First rider across the line at a pre-determined spot on the first lap wins a tub of Mad Alchemy embrocation.
– The CCC will of course be on Twitter all day… so feel free to follow us for up-to-the-minute updates.
– The CCC is supported by many, many, many generous series sponsors (34 in all so far!), many of whom will personally be attending and racing at Jackson Park. If you see one, please make sure to stop and say thank you for their continued support. Our little series would NOT be possible without them.
– We will have all CCC merchandise pre-orders available for pick up on Saturday. T-shirts, Socks, embro, coffee mugs. We will also have a limited supply of merch for purchase
– Below is the tentative 2012 Jackson Park course brought to you by the great minds of xXx Racing. The course is essentially the same as the CX Relay race but will obviously have a different start and staging grid. The staging grid will be next to the parking lot. Please remember the map below is only an approximation as we may need to make adjustments on race day. The course runs clockwise. The wheel/bike pit is dual sided and currently SW of finish line.
– And finally… thanks to everyone for coming out and racing the Chicago Cyclocross Cup… again! 2009 was a banner year… 2010 was enormous and great, 2011 was even more nuts… and we’re guessing 2012 will definitely be our biggest, best, and fastest #YearOfSpeed yet. So let’s race, cheer, heckle, and have a great time! See you SATURDAY!