- We hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving weekend full of family, food, fun, and maybe even some bike riding!
- For anyone who raced at Region Riot CX or care to know, results are here and our very own Kenny Labbe did a bit of tweeting with pic/vids during the event.
- Next up, the finale, the big chimichanga, the extra hot double trente soy non-foam latte with extra foam on the side and three pumps of almond syrup… Montrose Beach CX – Midwest CX Champs. Not only is Montrose the last race of the CCC series, but this year it also doubles as the USAC Midwest Cyclocross Championships. See the BikeReg page for notes and “make a donation” for VIP parking. Full course preview notes will be posted Thursday at 9am.
- PSA for those of you living under a mud-soaked rock for the past 12 months, Montrose is NOT the Illinois State CX Champs… those took place a month ago in Woodstock the day before Groundhog PSI-clocross.
- And finally… if you’re already done all of your Christmas shopping or maybe not and you’re just feeling generous on this #GivingTuesday, please consider an extra donation to our series causes Blackstone Bicycle Works and West Town Bikes. Both of these organizations do amazing work getting and keeping kids and young adults on bikes and having fund. If you’ve ever seen these young shredders at the races you know how awesome it is to see them competing and enjoying the power of bicycles. Thanks!
- The season is almost here!
- The xXx Racing Relay Cross is this coming Sunday in Warren Park (please do not show up to Jackson Park). Some great team names in there. We’ll have a course preview up on Thursday.
- Get your bike(s) cleaned up and ready to race now, don’t delay. There are many local bike shops that will be very happy to help you. Many of them are even series sponsors, so help them, help you, help us, help you.
- Speaking of series sponsors, last call for series sponsors. Please let us know if you’d like to be involved.
- Speaking of being involved, the CCC official kick off party will be at the Rapha Chicago Clubhouse on Thursday 9/6/18 at 6pm. There will food and dranks, a silent auction and raffle with proceeds going to West Town/Blackstone, Kenny will be MC, we’ll say a few words from the series, and there may even be a mechanic’s challenge. Please make sure to R.S.V.P. and join us, we look forward to seeing everyone!
- And finally… as we are all getting ourselves and our bikes ready for the season, remember there are a bunch of kids and young adults that race alongside us that could use a little help with their bikes. If you have extra equipment (especially frames) or clothing that is collecting dust and could use a good home, please consider donating it to Blackstone Bicycle Works or West Town Bikes. Either organization will gladly accept your gear or clothing during regular business hours.
- We hope everyone had a great holiday season and has stayed warm through the coldest few days we’ve seen in a while.
- This will more or less be the last post here on the site for a while. We’ll be back sometime in late Spring or early Summer with updates for 2019.
- But follow us on Twitter and Instagram as we’ll be watching the rest of the National and International CX races there.
- Speaking of Nationals, today kicks off the 2018 USA Cycling National Championships in Reno, NV. Our fantastic timing and results company One2Go will be supplying real time results for the rest of the week so follow them or watch on LiveLynxResults. Good luck to everyone, but especially any Chicagoland racers headed West to race.
- And finally… a big, big, big thank you to everyone who purchased tickets for our end of year Zipp Wheel Raffle. There was one lucky winner but we will not be releasing that person’s name right now. However the real winners were Big Marsh, Blackstone Bicycle Works, and West Town Bikes. Because of everyone’s ticket purchases we raised $3,590 to be split 3 ways between each group (i.e. $1,197). And when including everyone’s donations throughout the series ($995) and the series’ match ($1,005) we all raised a total of $5,590 and donated $1,865 to each group on behalf of the entire CCC community. So thank you again!!!
- Lots of CX events coming up. But if you haven’t checked out this site in a while, please have a look at our 5/30/17 post outlining the changes we’re making to this year’s series.
- Thursday 8/24 CCC Kickoff Party at the Rapha Clubhouse
- Saturday 8/26 Half Acre CX Eliminator at Big Marsh
- Sunday 8/27 xXx Relay Cross in Jackson Park
- Also remember the Trek CXC Cup (WI) and Jingle Cross (IA) are both in September and both are UCI World Cup events this year. We purposely do not have CCC events on these weekends so you can go and see these big shows.
- Want to be involved with the CCC as either a series sponsor or a series volunteer? We have plenty of room for anyone and everyone in both. Contact us at ChicagoCrossCup at gmail so we can discuss details.
- And finally… today we are officially and sadly saying goodbye to the green machine, the Village-Verdigris CX team after 11 years of being a part of the CCC. From Juniors to Women to Masters, VVCX has produced some of the best riders in the CCC both on and off the bike. But fear not as Tim, Vince, and the guys have recast the mold, in eye searing orange, as Team F3 p/b 7 Miles Cycles. You may already know F3 Cycling as the group that brought us FormMount (and more to come) and 7 Mile Cycles is the rebranded Village CycleSport in Elk Grove (Note the Arlington Heights and Barrington VCS locations are still there and separate owners). Look for this team to pick up right where they left off last season.
Quick update for a hot and humid still-Summer but #cxiscoming update.
- Half Acre hosts the CX Eliminator on Saturday 7/26 at Big Marsh and registration is open.
- xXx Racing hosts Relay Cross on Sunday 7/27 in Jackson Park and registration is open. High Fives!
- Join the Chicago Cyclocross Community for a season kick off party at the Rapha Chicago Clubhouse in Wicker Park on Thursday 8/24/2017 at 7pm!
- The party starts at 7pm, and everyone is invited, but please RSVP here.
- Mingle with and hear from series and race directors about the series and upcoming season while raising a pint.
- Meet and chat with sponsors such as SRAM, ABUS, PSIMET, Pony Shop, SnowyMountainPhotography, Illinois Bicycle Law, Clif Bar and more.
- Raffle of $5 per ticket with 100% of all proceeds going to West Town Bikes and Blackstone Bicycle Works!
- Holy cow its September, all the Labor Day sales have passed, Road is Officially Dead, its still hot as 7 inches from the midday sun, and CX IS.FINALLY.HERE.!!!
- Reminder that the first race in the CCC series is THIS SUNDAY 9/11/2016 in LaBagh Woods hosted by xXx Racing-Athletico. Online pre-reg is open on BikeReg and there is still room in all categories, but please, please, please don’t wait until the last minute to reg. The weather looks great for Sunday and pre-reg is so much easier on everyone than reg’ing at the venue. Look for the course preview on Thursday.
- Speaking of online pre-reg… all CCC races are now open on BikeReg if you’d like to part with your hard earned cash dollars now.
- If you didn’t see the announcement on their website, due to a scheduling conflict xXx Racing-Athletico had to reschedule the cyclocross clinic with the Svens from Tuesday 9/13 to Sunday 9/11 (the Monday 9/12 clinic will proceed as scheduled). Immediately following the last race of the day on Sunday at LaBagh Woods, the Svens will host a skills clinic right on the race course, focusing on mounting and dismounting, cornering, picking fast lines, barriers, shouldering, equipment setup, and other techniques. All funds from the clinic go directly to the Pieter Ombregt Scholarship Fund at Columbia College with the Svens volunteering their time as a favor to the Ombregt family. The Sunday clinic will be 2.5 hours long (4:30-7:00 pm) and is $125. Limited spots are still available! Also, Sven and Sven
willmay be hanging out starting around noon, so if you want autographs or the Svens to be on the podium with you, this may be your chance. Still no word on whether they will racing the Single Speed category.
- CCC Alumnus and all around cycling enthusiast Christopher Jensen sends us this note from Michigan… Great fun coming up on October 1, at the Beer City Growler Cyclocross and 5K Steeplechase. $2500 in cash prizes (equal payout between the Open Men and Open Women), a beer garden, The (original CCC) Flyover, One2Go Timing and Results, and a 5km run in the morning Also a special prize for the fastest combined run and “open” category CX finish time for the men and women. October 1, Wilcox Park in Grand Rapids, MI – http://www.usacycling.org/
- The CCC would like to welcome 2 new
series sponsorspartners to the CCC family:
Achieve Orthopedic Rehab Institute Sports Medicine – We pride ourselves in personal attention, through each step of the process. You literally feel the difference, every day.
Stio – Designed and tested in Jackson Hole, Stio clothing blends modern mountain style with technical performance. The Stio Mountain Studio™ at 1719 N. Damen Ave is bringing mountain soul to Chicago.
- And finally… before we get started with the season a quick PSA; its cyclocross, we’re all excited, we’re all competitive, there’s plenty of #hype… but that doesn’t mean we can’t have a
littlelot of fun. Let’s keep the egos, attitude, foul language, and any behavior unfit for public display in check and enjoy the season with each other. We only have a little bit of time so we should use it the best we can. Now let’s race CX!
- Aaaaaand… we’re back!
- We’ve had a bunch of updates to the event calendar, see everything on the Schedule page.
- Pre-reg for all CCC series events will again be hosted on BikeReg.com. Pre-reg for most events will open at 10am on Monday 9/5/16 with LaBagh Woods opening up Monday 8/22/16.
- xXx Racing is back with their Relay CX on Sunday 8/28/16 in Jackson Park. This year there will be yet another category, the Relay Roulette, which will serve as a fundraiser for a local area cycling charity/cause of the winners’ choice. Find more details here.
- Half Acre’s CX Eliminator will be on Saturday 9/10.
- The CCC’s first race of the series will again be hosted by xXx Racing and held in LaBagh Woods on Sunday 9/11/16. Due to Jingle Cross and the Trek CXC Cup changing dates, xXx Racing moved LaBagh Woods earlier on calendar so more Chicagoland racers could experience those larger races.
- A quick note from our neighbors across Lake Michigan… Looking to get your ‘cx season started off a bit early with a quick road trip to Michigan? Check out the Snap Fitness Alma Grand Prix of Cyclocross & 5k in Alma, Michigan (about a 4-ish hour drive from Chicago) for some good early season fun. The race website is AlmaGP.blogspot.com and pre-registration is available through USA Cycling. Camping on site Friday night, as well as an early number pick up option at Snap Fitness in town. Swag coming out of your ears!
- And as if that was enough CX in September for you… xXx Racing is Bringing the Sven’s to Chicago for a CX clinic. Check out all the details here.
- Interested in being a 2016 Series Sponsor? Please review our 2016 Series Sponsorship Proposal here and get back to us ASAP.
- And finally… did you notice we spruced up the place? Thanks to the guys at Bark Design for freshening up our website and logo.
- This Saturday the Chicago Cuttin’ Crew hosts Afterglow – A Cyclocross Race… now with #INSANEDEOMNIUM2015!!!
- Then on Sunday its the 2015 CCC Awards Party, we’re not going to make up some silly story that tickets are selling fast, there’s plenty of room, but please help us and EJ’s Place plan for how much food to make. Winners get their cowbells… and everyone gets something. Come join the fun.
- With the winding down of the CX season here in Chicago the CCC will crawl into its
denevile lair and updates here on the site will be few and far between until summer 2016. Have great winter and ride safely as much as you can. Given the trend in competition over the last few years we expect 2016 to be another fast CX season.
- Want to keep in shape over the holiday and race your CX bike in January??? Well luckily for you USA Cycling is having CX National Championships in Asheville, NC January 5-10. Good luck to everyone traveling and racing!
- And finally… thanks again to everyone who made a series donation this year. With donated entry fees from Melas CX the CCC will make just North of a $2,100 donation to each of our three causes… West Town Bikes, Blackstone Bicycle Works, and Big Marsh. THANK YOU AND MERRY CHRISTMAS!
- Ten27 Cycles and Spidermonkey Cycling host the last stop of the 2015 CCC… the Illinois State CX Championships at Montrose Harbor. We ask everyone to bundle up, bring your cowbells, cameras, drones, noise makers (leave the vuvuzelas at home please) and make a day out of Montrose…
- Registration: We’ll be running reg the same way as every other CCC race. Please allow all 35+ racers to pick up their numbers first since they have to get ready first. Several fields are either already full or very close. Online waitlists are on BikeReg. After No-Shows are removed we put in the online waitlisted riders, then its first come, first served until we hit the field limits. Online pre-reg closes tonight… so if you’re not yet reg’d, do everyone (yourself included) a favor and reg now!
- Montrose is once again sponsored by Goose Island’s 312 Beer which will be awarded on the podiums to everyone of age (or their parents).
- Staging: Staging will follow the same protocol we’ve been using all season long in the series. See the procedure here.
- Preliminary staging will be posted here. Email us at ChicagoCrossCup at gmail if you have problems.
- State Champion Requirements: Ten27 Cycling, Spidermonkey Cycling, and the ICA will be presenting 19 Illinois State CX Champion Jerseys (on the podiums) to the first IL rider to cross the finish line in every category (excluding the 4/5’s). This means Juniors 17-18, 15-16, 13-14, AND Juniors 9-12… boys AND girls, Women Cat 3, and yes even the 65+! Remember that in order to win the state championship you must be a permanent Illinois resident (we’ll be checking state/federal ID’s), a US citizen or permanent resident, and hold a valid and unsuspended 2015 USAC annual license before the start of the race (yes, we’re looking at you Cat 4’s). There must also be a full podium of IL riders (that means 3) to win the state jersey. This should not be a problem in any category.
- The Chicago Cuttin’ Crew will also be awarding medals and matching cash dollars +$1 for the top 3 women in the Single Speed category in the same way they have been doing since 2013.
- All races are championships except the Cat 4/5’s.
- Podiums presentations for each race (top 3 overall in the race) AND and for the IL state championship (top 3 IL riders in the race) will occur immediately after each race finish… so pay attention after your race, Kenny Labbe may be calling your name!
- Payouts: 5 deep per the 2015 CCC minimum payout schedule.
- The Pony Shop and Chicago Cuttin’ Crew will also have their usual extra prizes for Junior categories.
- While 5 riders have already locked up their CCC overall titles (see riders in yellow), there are still 10 very, very, very close categories still to be decided on Sunday. Overall titles will be posted Sunday, but all official overall series awards will be presented at the CCC Awards Party on Sunday December 20st at EJ’s Place. We look forward to celebrating with all of you.
- The weather usually makes Montrose the special event it is. Right now the forecast is for sun and highs in the upper 40’s! In any event, the weather and wind can always change on a dime, especially next to the lake, so bundle up, dress appropriately, and come prepared with extra warm & dry gear.
- The Big Star food truck will be serving their famous tacos and other food at the curb between 11am and 3:30pm.
- A few series and race sponsor tents will be gathered into an Town Square/Expo Area between registration, the finish area, and the podiums where the state champion jerseys will be awarded throughout the day of racing.
- Team Tents: Given the ever present potential for strong winds, bring weights and stakes. Also, Ten27 will have an expo area near registration with designated tent spots for race sponsors, so please do not set up your tents in these spots or you will be asked to move.
- Parking: Parking will be on the street only along Simonds Dr. Simonds Drive will be closed to through traffic between the staging grid and finish line. You may approach the race course on Simonds Drive from either Wilson Avenue or from Montrose Avenue, but you will have to turn around and leave the same way you came in. Please do not park adjacent to the road closure barricades, as Ten27 is required to leave enough room for all cars to turn around at the barricades. Only authorized vehicles (i.e. officials, CCC staff, event organizers, BigStarTruck, etc) will be allowed within the road closures. Please do not give the traffic marshals a hard time about this, they are just doing their job. No Parking at all on the grass, anywhere, period (except for the SRAM NRS car).
- Team trailers: Plan to arrive early between 6:00-6:30am to park your trailer. The streets will be closed at 6:30am. Please drop your trailer and move the tow vehicle to the general parking area. We are trying to keep the barricade area as car free. It is possible to park your trailer Saturday evening by 5:00pm. Security watching the area overnight. Please contact the race directors through BikeReg to make any other special arrangements.
- Alcohol is prohibited in the park without permit, so please act appropriately and responsibly.
- Pack out what you pack in. A large trash dumpster will be provided in the street for any refuse.
- Bib Numbers: On your LEFT SIDE as always. All riders with longer hair are reminded that their hair MUST be pulled up and can not obstruct your bib # while racing. Riders are reminded to not sit up while coming across the finish line, this is especially noted for Juniors – wait to post up until AFTER you’ve safely finished and have been properly scored by officials. Numbers must also be clearly visible to the officials checking you in at staging. Failing to have numbers visible slows down and delays starting fields on time.
- One2Go Event Services will again be providing camera timing and lap times. However if your bib number is on the wrong side, you will NOT be scored. So pin those numbers correctly.
- Speaking of scoring… Montrose being the State Championship and the last race of the CCC series, the USAC officials will be pulling out-of-contention riders so the race leaders have a clear course. However, everyone will be placed, even if you are several laps down. The only way riders will be listed DNF (did not finish) is if they stop voluntarily. So keep racing until the chief referee tells you to stop. Riders will only be asked to exit the course near the finish line.
- Speaking of the finish line, SRAM Neutral Service will be in the equipment pits helping you get there in the case of a mechanical.
- The equipment pit is on the other side of the road from the start and finish lines. Please do NOT leave your spare bikes and wheels in the pit after your race. The next category needs to use the pit too.
- The Course: Ten27 Cycling’s course designer Chuck Judy has tweaked last year’s course again while retaining all of Montrose’s classic features. The course runs clockwise this year, which is the opposite from year’s past, beginning at the staging grid which will now be on the North side Simonds Dr. The start will be long, and wide, and without sharp turns. The finish line and registration tent will be in nearly same location as years past, just off the road to the North and near the sand, however the finish line will now be on the paved path. Riders will again have the full width of the tunnel heading southbound under Simonds Drive. The course will then cross back over the tunnel on Simonds Dr to complete the loop, resulting in essentially a paved flyover. Yes the main sand pit will be back but backwards, where spectators are all but guaranteed a great view of all the action. As always the final course track will be determined Saturday afternoon and may be altered from the map below.
- Also, with yesterday’s snow showers the ground is a little wet, so please NO GROUP PRACTICES on the course. We want to leave the grass in as good of shape as we can after Sunday so we can come back and race next year. Thanks!